Monday, April 20, 2020

Finally, Photos! Artichokes, Roses, and the Potager Garden

vibrant pink roses


Thank you to all of you for understanding that I couldn't post photos for a short while.  I was getting really frustrated, since everything that I tried to do didn't work.  I chatted about it this morning with my neighbor and her sister.  She explained to me that podcasts take up a lot of space.  So do apps.  I tried deleting the Google Photos, and voila!  Now I have plenty of room for more photos.  What a relief.  For some reason, when I can't get something right, I tend to think that I will never be able to do it again.

Here we go...let's walk through the garden...


this artichoke plant came back from last year

Today the first artichoke is ripe.  It is so exciting to make vegetables for lunch or dinner from food that you've grown yourself.



The bees and hummingbirds are busy pollinating the citrus trees.  This is a navel orange tree.


you can grow fruit, vegetables, flowers, herbs and trees together

I get a lot of compliments on the front potager garden from my neighbors. As they walk by, they usually stop to visit.  I hope that they feel the energy and healing vibration that the plants can bring.  As a child I sensed the uplifting spirit that some of the gardens had in our neighborhood.  It made my heart leap.

Back to planting!  I just put in oregano, peppermint, a tomato plant, and relocated some plump worms.  They do the work in the soil for us.  More photos will be coming soon.  Thank you for your kindness and patience.

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.  

17 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are able to take photos, again. I have found that I need to constantly delete stuff from my phone if I want to upload photos to the computer because my phone doesn't have enough storage space! Your garden is lovely! I love those pink roses, but, my goodness! That artichoke plant! That is huge! I am not a fan of artichokes, but, I'd love to grow a plant just for how it looks! I am off to read up on growing artichokes!

    Hope you are feeling better and a little less overwhelmed. Take care of yourself and take it easy for as long as you need to. Stay well. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. It is a huge relief to be able to post photos again. I was afraid that I was going to miss this season for photographs. The artichoke plant gets a lot of attention. It really is the star of the garden. They take up a lot of space.

      Delete
  2. I've never eaten globe artichoke before. How do you cook and eat them? I totally agree about growing edible and floral plants together, I have been doing it for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie, My mom used to boil several of them in a large pot of water with Italian salad dressing and several lemons. She put the lemon rinds in there, too. She used almost a whole bottle of salad dressing. I make my own. You can also cut them in half, and cover with lemon juice and salad dressing. Cover with a lid or aluminum foil, and bake for an hour at 350 degrees. Some people grill them...

      Delete
  3. Beautiful gardens!! Yes, I notice that happens in people who have their blogs for a long time...I periodically purge my photos/posts...it does take time. Blogs, like anything, are fine when they run smoothly!
    Glad you got that fixed. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea, I need to delete several hundred more emails. Thank you for the compliment on the garden.

      Delete
  4. Your garden is beautiful! Your artichoke looks like it is as tall as me:-) Wow! And I know what you mean~ some gardens just have a feel to them that lifts the spirit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lady Locust, Yes, they do. Adding a few rose bushes has made this one feel so much more feminine. I planted more herbs in the nooks and crannies today. A garden is such a Godsend during a shelter in place order.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the garden tour, Stephenie. I’m so glad you are able to photos again.

    Wow! That artichoke plant is huge. I have two artichoke seedlings in small pots and it’s good see how big they get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, They really take off at this time of year. It's kind of exciting to see them grow. You can almost watch it happen, like with pumpkins. Those are my favorite...

      Delete
  6. You have a lovely garden, Stephanie. It quite clearly brings you joy and also offers up some of that loveliness for those who pass by too.

    You seem very much a giving person to me. I imagine that your neighbour loved the yellow cake with sprinkles that you wrote about yesterday. I think it's important to remember the need to give to, and care for, ourselves always but especially so in stressful times. You will know just how much time and energy you have to give without neglecting yourself or compomising your own wellbeing. I think it's important to use that as a guide when helping snd supporting others.

    Take care.
    MegXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meg, Yes, sometimes I get in over my head. I don't realize it until after the fact, though. I have to let go of guilt if someone wants something from me and I can't give them. Running a household and staying on top of the garden and orchard takes a lot of energy.

      Delete
  7. Your garden looks beautiful and boy, that artichoke plant is huge! Ours are not quite that big yet but they sure are the most reliable vegetable we grow, they come back year after year after year. I love to eat mine boiled. Pulling off leaves, dipping them in vinaigrette and scraping the small sliver of solid flesh off with my teeth, slowly working my way into the artichoke heart.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, so beautiful! Thanks for the lovely photos and enjoy the artichokes.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love to mix up the veggies and the flowers. That artichoke has quite a spectacular form in its own right!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That rose picture took my breath away. Absolutely beautiful! Does it have a fragrance? I love artichokes, but don't have the space to grow them. My mom used to steam them in water with some garlic, lemon, and oil. She would serve them with a mayo/red wine vinegar dipping sauce. Stay healthy and safe.

    ReplyDelete