Sunday, April 19, 2020

Cake For My Neighbor

Today I baked an old fashioned yellow cake using a recipe from my Betty Crocker cookbook.  It's simple and classic, and includes butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, flour, and baking powder.  You blend the ingredients on high with an electric mixer.  I was thankful to have all of that list in my stockpile.  I have been reading Depression recipes for cakes that people used to make when they had food shortages.  In my case, I make an effort to be sure to use up what I have before it expires.  The rest of the milk needs to be used by tomorrow.  I will make a cream of cabbage soup.  I can adapt the broccoli cheese soup recipe that I have.

I had a carton of whipped cream in the fridge, and I wanted to use it.  I was planning on making a batch of lemon curd, as well, but I just didn't have the energy.  I decided to keep the cake simple, and see how it tasted.

I whipped the cream and added vanilla extract and sugar.  I spread it over the top of the cooled cake, and added some colored sprinkles.  I was very pleased with the effect.  Baking a cake in a large, rectangular pan is so easy.  I like the square slices  and the way they look on a plate, too.

I called my neighbor and asked if she would like some; she is always very appreciative of cake.  She go all excited and said that she needed a treat.  That made me feel so happy.  It's the little things that we can do for each other.  I left a very large piece in a pyrex container by her door.

I think the child inside of everyone gets excited over the thought of enjoying a slice of homemade cake.     

I have been getting requests for a few things that I just can't do right now.  People have been asking me for soap, ballet classes, and masks.  I just have to say no.  I feel badly, but it's too much.  We have to stay home.  I''m not able to take photos  on my mini ipad, either.  I don't have the storage space.  I deleted a lot of stuff, but it's still not working. 

I will still be posting regularly on the blog, but not always with photos.  I have been feeling a bit  pressured, and I'm just trying to not worry about the things that I can't control.   It's easy to get overwhelmed with this pandemic.  I'm just taking things one day at a time, and focusing on cleaning, cooking, baking, and the garden.   Are you feeling pressured and getting requests from people, too?


Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.

15 comments:

  1. I love yellow cake. That's the first cake I learned to make as a kid.

    I'm also overwhelmed with work. It's not easy to work from home, people expect you to be online 24/7.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's crazy. I think when people get anxious, they can get a bit needy, and controlling. It makes them feel better.

      Delete
  2. I think just about everyone loves cake. It takes such simple basic ingredients and results in something amazing with a touch of magic.

    I'm finding that working with my garden and allotment is giving me a real feeling of positivity. It's a troubling time and I need the sense of renewal that working with nature brings. It also helps that we're having great weather right now and I have to be getting my allocation of vitamin D!
    I'm glad you are taking things one at a time and focusing on what some call the 'small things' which I think are probably the most important things. Sending love.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joy. You sound wonderful. Yes, the small things do bring us much pleasure. They also take a lot of time. It's worth it for the result, though.

      Delete
  3. Yum! Cake! I was thinking of making a sponge cake, myself, the other night, and went as far as looking up my old recipe that I had copied down from my mother's cookbook. But, what I am really craving are savory (read salty and spicy) snacks, so, I baked another batch of potato chips with my last potato, instead! LOL! With salt and chili powder added, it was just what I wanted!

    I'm sorry you are getting requests for things you are not able to provide right now. At least, you have the reassurance that there is a demand for what you are able to provide! Maybe tell them that once all this is over, you will be able to make soap and teach, etc.

    Please do continue to post, even without photos. I am sorry if I contributed to your feelings of being pressured because I commented on an earlier post that I hope to see a photo of your roses; I didn't mean to add pressure!

    I haven't felt pressured, myself, and the only thing people have asked of me is if they can do something for me! I feel very blessed and grateful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your homemade potato chips sounds delicious, Bless. I think I'm realizing that I'm not going to be doing those things anymore. It's too much, with dealing with my dad's estate, this pandemic, and keeping up the home and garden. Please don't feel like you added pressure. I was just feeling overwhelmed and frustrated that I couldn't take photos on my mini ipad. I got it worked out, and will be posting garden shots today!

      Delete
  4. I think we put ourselves under pressure and we need to remember that NO is a sentence and no explanation is necessary. Take care and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel badly saying no sometimes. I don't want to hurt people's feelings, but I have so many chores and responsibilities right now.

      Delete
  5. I would love a slice of that yellow cake with a nice cup of coffee. Isn't it just the simple things that give the most pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Cherie. That's true. I already had another slice this morning. There's nothing like homemade cake!

      Delete
  6. You are best to look after your health and what is best for you to do so.

    Saying no because you are feeling overwhelmed is the best decision. Hope your get your camera working again.

    Your cake sounds nice and it was good that you had the ingredients on hand. I bet your neighbour really appreciated your kindness.

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tania. Yes, we can only each do so much...My neighbor was so excited about the cake. It warmed my heart. You are right, we have to look after our emotional and mental health at this time. For me, that means not overdoing, and making time for yoga, exercise, meditation, and rest. Nature heals...

      Delete
  7. What a thoughtful gesture of giving cake to your neighbor. It sounds delicious and I am now having some serious dessert envy! I am sorry to read that you are feeling overwhelmed. Sometimes the best thing is to just say "no" and think of your own wellbeing first. Take the time to enjoy your cottage gardens and the warm sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, That's true. Sometimes I agree, and then regret it. There is a lot of work to be done in the home during this pandemic. It's a good feeling to put hours each day into the home and garden.

      Delete
  8. Your cake sounds delicious. I find I usually bake using square tins rather than round.
    I'm sorry you're feeling overwhelmed just now. Taking things one day at a time is all we can do. X

    ReplyDelete