Friday, April 3, 2020

Sitting On the Porch While Staying Home



Since the Shelter In Place order in California, I have been spending some time each day out on my porch.  The pink geraniums are in bloom, the birds are flitting from flower to flower, and the sun is shining.  It's a relief to get outside in the fresh air and feel the comfort of Mother Nature. 



The rosemary is in bloom.  The bees are buzzing in and around the needles, collecting pollen from the purple flowers.  I plan to prune the right side of it this afternoon.  I have been getting rid of as much dead wood as I can on my fruit trees and shrubs. 



These navel orange tree buds are swelling.  Soon they will burst open; I am looking forward to their fragrant blooms.    These are my favorite oranges; they taste so sweet. 



Soon it will be time to harvest the artichokes.  This is the first one to appear.  You can almost watch them grow, like pumpkins.  

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.  

21 comments:

  1. I love your porch. What a beautiful spot to relax.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nil. It's heavenly out there. I am so grateful tohave it.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, LL. I can't wait for the artichokes. They are so delicious!

      Delete
  3. Everything looks so nice! Wow...those rosemary blossoms. I have a very hard time growing rosemary. If it get one stalk of it, 5 inches high, I am lucky! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. It took me five tries, Andrea. That plant has been there for twenty years. It makes a nice hedge; and is drought tolerant. Hard to get started, though. (I agree.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved your photo of an artichoke plant. I purchased one recently and have never grown them before. I'm looking forward to seeing mine develop and i talk to it every morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it does well for you, A. They take up a lot of space, but are impressive plants.

      Delete
  6. Your porch is so nice with the hanging plants and comfy chairs. It must be very airy and cool in the summer. Your rosemary plant looks very healthy. I have an old plant in the back and a newer one in the front. Your orange flowers look like they are almost ready to open! I'm sure they smell lovely when they do open. I've never tried to grow artichokes, but your plant looks very striking! Enjoy your garden and stay safely at home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bless. Lula and I are snug and content at home. The rosemary plant has really grown. I need to do some more pruning on it today.

      Delete
  7. How wonderful to have fresh oranges from your own tree. Wow!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a treat, Joy. It took many, many years, but now that tree is producing an abundance of blood oranges.

      Delete
  8. It must be lovely to have a porch where you can sit and enjoy the outdoors, whatever the weather. You have a beautiful abundance of growth in your yard.X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jules. It is an exciting time. We've had an abundance of rain this year, which really helps.

      Delete
  9. What a beautiful porch. I can imagine sitting outside with a glass of wine in the evening just soaking up the atmosphere :) Pretty flowers too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a soothing place to sit. PP. I'm going to finish the socks I have been knitting out there this afternoon.

      Delete
  10. Your porch looks so very inviting. We are enjoying our front courtyard watching swarms of butterflies and birds. And the lizards which are always amusing. Our Meyer lemon tree is full of blossoms right now and it smells wonderful. I was thinking about you just yesterday and was hoping all was well in your neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Anita, Your courtyard sounds wonderful. Having an outdoor room is so healthy during this lockdown. I am loving the birds, bees, lizards, and butterflies, too. Last night I saw a couple of bats! They were small.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A beautiful porch to sit and admire the garden. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a very healing space, mm. I feel very fortunate to have it. Nature is so calming.

      Delete
  13. Such a pretty place to spend your time.

    Mother Nature still manages to shine in these dark times. We need to be more like Mother Nature xxx

    ReplyDelete