Monday, June 25, 2018

A Wonderful Reunion at MGM in Reno


Over the weekend I attended a thrilling reunion at The Grand Sierra Resort in Reno, Nevada. I reconnected with many old friends from my first professional show, "Hello Hollywood, Hello!" The cast members and I all have heartwarming memories of working together when we were in our twenties. It was such a special and happy time. They hosted famous headliners like Carol Channing, Suzanne Somers, The McGuire Sisters, and Charo. It was so exciting to perform with them.


I drove up from Los Angeles on Friday morning. It took me eight hours to get there. I stopped in beautiful Bishop, California, and had a glass of lemonade. I had packed sandwiches and coffee. It saved me money to eat  in the car.   The cafe was very sweet and charming. I browsed in a few of the shops, which were very quaint. It was like going back in time. Where I live, we have Starbucks, gas stations, and chains stores everywhere.


Once I arrived at the hotel, I started spotting the showgirls everywhere. You couldn't miss them. They stood out, like statues or mannequins. They were all so glamorous. Someone was overheard asking, "What is happening in the hotel where there are all of these tall, beautiful women?" That made us chuckle. Three hundred people attended. They flew in from all over the world. It was very grand.


This was the first time that I have stayed at the Grand Sierra Resort. It was such a treat! I was upgraded to a suite, after they had accidentally given my room to another man. After sliding my key into the slot,  I walked in on him!  The room was spacious, comfortable, and clean. I did yoga and pilates. knit several rows on my sock while lounging on the sofa, and wrote in my journal at the desk. They even had coffee makers in the room, which is one of my favorite amenities. There is something so nice about not having to go anywhere to have your morning caffeine fix.


Dinner was delightful. I sat with "the girls" from my old row in the dressing room. It was just like old times. It was so comforting to hear their voices and accents again. One is from  South Africa, another from Scotland, a third from England, and I'm from California. It was a real international cast. We all still get along so well. I was sad to see them go. There's something very special about spending time with people you've known for so many years. We have such a deep connection. How was your weekend?


Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and enthusiasm to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the articles here, please share them.

16 comments:

  1. You look beautiful! So nice that you had such a good trip! Neat retro cafĂ©... ….smart to pack food, healthier too. Your room mistake ended up being in your favor getting the suite! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, Andrea. It was huge! Thanks. We had an amazing time. Making coffee in the room saved money, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a true coffee lover too! We stayed at a hotel once that had coffee in the lounge 24 hours/day....that was the highlight of the stay for me...ha..Andrea

      Delete
    2. It's the little things. I used to bring my own portable one cup coffeemaker. I still have it, just in case...

      Delete
  3. Wow Stephanie! I have to agree - tall beautiful gals. Also, my mom grew up in Bishop so we were there quite a bit to see my grandparents while they were alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they gorgeous? It's a very compatible group. How wonderful that you spent time in Bishop. I love it there.

      Delete
  4. You look very glamorous, glad you had a wonderful time, and what a treat to have an upgrade for your room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Raindrops on Roses. It was magnificent. Reminded me of my touring days when we stayed in fancy hotels. I loved it. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  5. Sounds that you all had a wonderful time with the reunion of your old friends :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Weekend-Windup. Yes, we had a fabulous time! It was the highlight of my year.

      Delete
  6. It must have been an amazing experience. All those tall beautiful women that really know how to take care of their bodies. I bet all the male guests in the hotel thought it was a real treat just to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cherie. Yes, we certainly created a spectacle. They are all very kind and sweet, too. It was fun to see everyone so dressed up for the occasion.

      Delete
  7. You look wonderful in the photos. The reunion sounds like a blast and all of you still look like showgirls to me! I love your dress.

    PS-My father's family goes back 4 generations in Bishop. I still have many cousins there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Anita, Yes, they all still look like showgirls to me, too. We are all over 50 now. That's wonderful that you still have family in Bishop. Next time I want to see Yosemite.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, how glamorous you all are. You look lovely, Stephenie! How exciting it must have been to be back with all the women you danced with and to catch up with all of their news. A long drive but the little place you stopped off at for lemonade looks so lovely. As does your suite! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Meg. It was an incredible weekend. The cafe in Bishop was really sweet. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete