Monday, June 11, 2018

Is It A Lot Of Work To Keep Chickens?


This morning I received a comment that I thought would make a helpful blog post. Courtney wrote,  "I would LOVE to get laying hens someday. The kids and I eat eggs every morning, plus we live in the country, so it would be perfect for us. Is it a lot of work? Is it something kids could take charge of and do?

I would definitely have an adult taking care of the chickens, with children helping and learning. In my opinion, it's just too easy for the dog to squeeze into the coop, for someone to forget to lock them in at night, or for a predator to swoop down and take your chickens.

Where I live we have coyotes, owls, hawks, raccoons, snakes, and loose dogs. I experienced a couple of close calls with my last chicken, Jillian. Fortunately, she ran for cover under the lemon tree and survived a near attack from a hawk.  Because of all the thorns, she was safe. She did lose some feathers, though.


I wouldn't say it's a lot of work, but caring for chickens is a big responsibility. They need daily time and care. You have to regularly sweep out the litter from the coop and empty the nest boxes. I give mine fresh water each day, and wash out their food bowl nightly.  They need fresh bedding in the nest boxes. I use pine needles or straw. If you leave their food out overnight, it will probably attract rats.

I had a beautiful chicken coop already on the property when I bought my cottage. You can find something  at a feed store, but they are pretty pricey. Many people make their own with recycled materials. Mine  has a brick floor, French windows and doors, and chicken wire along the bottom for ventilation. There are a couple of nest boxes and two perches. It meets their needs.


I feed my hens twice a day. I give them scratch, fruit and vegetable trimmings, fresh greens, and compost. A scoop of compost from my backyard pile is filled with red wiggler worms, mealy bugs, earwigs, and other insects. The chickens gobble up every bit of it. The protein is very good for them. They love it, especially the red wiggler worms. Whenever I see a grasshopper, I trap it in a jar and feed it to them.

In the late afternoon I give them laying mash, more fresh produce, and I sprinkle some oyster shells into their food. This helps make their egg shells hard. The chickens in the photo above belong to my neighbor. I took care of her flock over the weekend, while she was out of town. I went over there three times a day. Hers are terrific layers. She gives them a plentiful supply of fresh fruits and vegetables that she gets from the food pantry. They let her take what they would throw away; she collects it once a week.


It's very important to keep the chicken coop secure. One time I was washing my dishes, I glanced out the window saw my German Shepherd's hind quarters sticking out of the chicken coop. She had worked the chicken wire loose over about a week. Fortunately, I caught her just in time, and saved the chicken. Carlie had pulled some feathers and flesh from her neck. The hen looked dead, but she wriggled back to life when I picked her up and comforted her. Chickens can die of fright. I cleaned her wound and it healed. From then on, her feathers always grew in that spot last, after she molted.  I have friends who have lost their whole flock to raccoons or coyotes. If you ever hear a ruckus, always run outside and check on them.     

They are wonderful pets, and the eggs are delicious, but they are a commitment. Mine usually don't lay during the hottest part of  the year, and resume again in February. It's a chore I enjoy. I'm sure some of the readers will be along to comment and let you know their thoughts. Many of them also keep chickens.

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and enthusiasm to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.     

12 comments:

  1. It's a great opportunity for the children to learn responsibility. I was responsible for our chickens from about 8-10 years old. If there was a problem, I would tell my parents. If I didn't shut them in and something got into them, the death was my fault. It's a very real responsibility, but a good one. They are sure fun characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are. I could watch them all day. Just got the first egg this afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just caught up with your posts, how wonderful you have chickens again, Silkies like me, I just love my chickens, we will be getting some more again soon.
    Best wishes Marlene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marlene! So nice to hear from you again. The Silkies are really cute. I adore them. I would love to get more, too. Their eggs are tiny!

      Delete
  4. It must be great having you own fresh egg store in your garden. My neighbours used to but they didn't clean them out well and the smell was horrid. Then came the rats....yuk. The chickens are gone now and so are the rats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tania, It is. It's so grounding to pick fresh herbs and vegetables, and collect eggs for cooking and baking. The manure is excellent for the garden, too. I haven't had a problem with odor, but I keep it clean. The soiled straw goes right into the compost pile, and is replaced with fresh bedding.

      Delete
  5. Thank you, Stephenie! This was so helpful! As you were describing your coop I could envision what we could do here at home. One of my biggest concerns has always been keeping them comfortable (and alive!) during the winter. Our winters up here in the north are brutal!! I appreciate you taking the time to create this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Courtney, My pleasure. Let me know how it goes. Chickens are so much fun. They seem to bring out the inner child. I like making use of the land, too.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Anita. I was very excited. They are all making squawking sounds now, so hopefully tomorrow I will have more fresh eggs...

      Delete
  7. in my opinion, children should never be unsupervised around animals, plus it's more fun if you get in as a family & make it enjoyable to look after them, including the cleaning up of their coop;
    if your winters are really harsh like with snow & blizzards, you will need to be sure to make their coop insulated; not sure how you build things up there, i've never lived in snow country (never seen it either) but chooks can drop dead from severe weather, even heat; lost a few of mine when i first moved here; i live in Queensland Australia, summers are brutal here
    just remember that chooks, even though they can be cute as pets, are still livestock, be sure to get a docile breed to begin with, like the Silkies, start small then build up as your confidence grows but never expect kids to go out & do them on their own, childrens' brains don't work like an adult, they don't see things as we do, so always accompany them to the coop & let them help you with the eggs, feed & water, family team work. all the best
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, Selina. There's a certain maturity and empathy needed with animals. They depend on us. Right now I am putting ice cubes in my chickens' water a few times a day. I have moved their food and nesting box into the shade, under the pine tree. It's fun for the kids to gather the eggs, though. I had a little neighbor boy who used to love to come and get the eggs for me. I had him do it while the chickens were outside, free ranging.

    ReplyDelete