Friday, June 29, 2018

Big Bear, California


I had lunch my brother yesterday in Big Bear, California. He had traveled to  Palm Springs on a business trip, and offered to meet me halfway. We met for lunch. I brought Lula along for the journey. Big Bear is a very dog friendly town. It's a lot like Austria. Californians go there to ski.    


After my brother headed back to his hotel,  I had dinner at The Pines Lakefront. It's right on the water. The view was spectacular. I enjoyed the sunset from my table, while Lula slept peacefully in the car.



I found a last minute reservation at Motel 6. The rate was $52.00 a night. They don't charge for pets, and you can bring your large dog with you. Many of the other hotels only allow small dogs, and it costs an extra $30.00 a night for the pet. I packed some fresh fruit, nuts, and  my own personal coffeemaker. If you look carefully, you can see the lake beyond the trees. Being in the mountains is so healing and rejuvenating.


This is where we had lunch. They allow dogs on the patio. Our waiter brought Lula a bowl of ice water, which she lapped up eagerly. There was no traffic on the drive  there, or on the way home. The scenery was breathtaking! It's just two and a half hours from my cottage. It was a treat to see my youngest brother. It's also a gift to be back  home again.  Have you done any traveling this summer?

Thank you for your comments. They add so much energy and talent to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them. 


12 comments:

  1. So nice it is dog friendly! Beautiful views. I know once when I was in Washington and Oregon, I was surprised at all the evergreen trees! So you must be the same. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lived in Seattle until I was six, Andrea. I cried and cried when we left. The first time I drove to Reno from San Mateo I was in awe of the Sierra Nevada. It's breathtaking...

      Delete
  2. When my grandmother was little, they had a cabin at Big Bear. It wasn't really a town at that point, more just a community. They used to get quite a bit of snow during winter - not sure if that's still the case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure either, Lady Locust. (Although now they can make snow.) I hear the machines start at 3:30 a.m. How wonderful that your grandmother had a cabin there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like just the place a weary soul could rest and become whole again.
    Some people like ocean views but give me rolling hills and fresh green fields full of corn any day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very healing place, Cherie. I love the mountains and pine trees. Rolling hills and fresh green fields sound wonderful.

      Delete
  5. Big Bear is so beautiful. I haven't been up there in years which is a shame because it is only a 2 or 3 hour drive from here. It sounds like you had a wonderful visit with your brother. No real travel plans for us this summer. But that is ok since we live in a pretty wonderful place to be a home bound tourist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, Yes, you sure do! I have been on a few short trips this year, and they have really been enjoyable.

      Delete
  6. Look at those magnificent trees! What a lovely place to visit and meet up with your brother, Stephenie. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg. Yes, it really was. It was his first time there, and so much cooler than Palm Springs.

      Delete
  7. Ocean, desert and mountains... you've had some special mini-vacations!
    Glad that Lula was able to join this adventure with you. I love doggie and mama road trips. We've hiked all of New England together.
    Haven't been to Big Bear in a while..it really is a special place, Isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill, Yes, I certainly have. This has been a fantastic year for travel. It sounds like you've had some enjoyable trips with your dog. They are excellent company. Yes, I love Big Bear. As you said, it is special.

      Delete