Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Garden Flowers and Another Egg!


I took some photos out in the garden this morning. Yesterday my neighbor let me have as much composted horse manure as I wanted, so  I brought home four wheelbarrows full. In return, I gave her a couple bars of  homemade shea butter goat's milk soap. It's her favorite. Both of us were happy.


This morning the chickens were singing like a chorus, (at the top of their lungs,) which usually means that someone has laid an egg. I went out and checked. (several times.) Midnight deposited  her fist egg in the nest box. I was very proud of her. It's oval shaped. I'd forgotten that each hen's eggs look different. Hers are long and narrow. It was very exciting. Of course I made a huge fuss and praised her. I find they thrive on the encouragement.


I'm so pleased that their new diet is working. They really gobble up the hard boiled eggs. I'm amazed at how much lettuce and spinach they eat. It makes the yolks bright orange. I picked up another nest box at the store today. This way maybe they won't squabble over the one that they have.  They were lined up to use it today. The whole process is fascinating. It amazes me how much protein they provide for us. It really inspires me to garden and grow food.


Here are  some photos of the flowers and zucchini in the garden. The tiny white ones are feverfew. I love the hollyhocks, and will miss them once they're gone. They add so much beauty and light to the cottage garden. The zucchini plants have perked up; I gave them some composted manure and straw mulch. They are much happier.  Soon there will be bright yellow squash flowers to hand pollinate.  I'm hoping to have lots of zucchini to eat, share, and  feed to the chickens. How is your garden doing?


Thank you for your comments. They add so much energy and talent to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful flowers! And I love battered and fried zucchini. I miss planting it as I don't anymore. Another lovely egg! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Andrea. I love zucchini, too. I didn't have zucchini when my hips were bad, and I missed it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a lovely thing exchanging things with neighbours and friends.
    It is so rewarding keeping hens isn't it, even though ours are a little to young to lay they are giving us so much pleasure, gorgeous birds, I just gave them some chopped up strawberries and they loved them. I have heard lots of people mention feverfew, I would like to get some myself.
    Marlene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marlene, Feverfew reseeds, and is easy to grow. I think the wild birds planted it for me. Yes, the chickens really are gorgeous. I'm looking forward to letting them free range. Strawberries, what a treat!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful flowers. It's great that you can get manure from your neighbor.
    I pictured you thanking the hen and it made me smile. I'm sure your hens like you very much. You treat them very well. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nil. They are so sweet. Yes, the manure from my neighbor really greens up the plants. Everything is so much more productive.

      Delete
  5. Your flowers and garden are lovely. We don't grow any squash in our garden because we have limited space and they do spread! Another egg is happy news indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anita. You're right, they do need a lot of space. I was thrilled with the second egg. It was 99 degrees here yesterday, and sometimes hens don't lay when it's so hot.

      Delete
  6. My courgettes (Zucchini) are in flower and the fruits are coming along well. I think by the end of next week I may be picking my first one. Your garden is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Tania. Mine are flowering, too. I just have the male blossoms right now. Once the females appear, I can start hand pollinating them. Happy gardening.

      Delete
  7. How lovely that you have folk you can make exchanges with, that you can share and receive without the need for money to change hands. Your flowers are beautiful, you've reminded me that even though we are into Winter here now, that I must go and look at what's blooming outside when the sun gets up a bit higher in the sky. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Meg, That's right, we're opposite of you, here in California. Thank you, I love the flowers this time of year. Winter is cozy; enjoy the season...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do love your Hollyhocks, so beautiful. Exciting news about the egg, everything tastes better when it’s fresh xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl. I love them, too. I got an egg from the third hen this morning! Three for three. They are so cute.

      Delete
  10. gorgeous flowers, i tried to grow holly hocks but i don't think they like it here, am determined though so will try again next season; i help out down at our community market gardens & that's where i get my fresh veges at the moment as my poor old gardens need a lot of work & i haven't the time to put a lot into them yet.
    it's great that you can barter with your neighbours. i get horse manure from my neighbour too & usually take some chook manure up to her or eggs.
    great post
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Selina. Some of mine have taken two years to bloom. Yes, the bartering is great. That's great that you get free horse manure, too. It makes such a difference. My zucchini look much happier and healthier. Happy gardening...

      Delete