Friday, June 15, 2018

Everything Was Beautiful At The Ballet



A friend from my first show just posted this photo of us on Facebook.  It was taken thirty- three years ago. We were doing the musical "A Chorus Line." She played Beebe, and I played Maggie. It was an incredible experience.

I had loved the show " A Chorus Line" since I was nine years old. My mother and aunt took me to see the touring company in San Francisco. I knew from that point that I wanted to perform in musical theater. It just grabbed me. The music, the stories, the honesty, and the pain all resonated with me. The show was all about the life of a dancer. They told about their life experience, from the heart. I was amazed and enthralled.

Ten years later, I would be hired to do "A Chorus Line" at the MGM Grand Hotel in Reno, Nevada. Joe Morris directed, and Phil Riccobuono set the original choreography, which was by Michael Bennett.  I was on cloud nine.  I just loved rehearsing those numbers. It was one of the happiest times in my life.

Carol Channing and Maggie Banks came to see the show. Carol was our headliner at MGM in "Hello Hollywood, Hello!" and Maggie had assisted Gene Kelly, Hermes Pan, and Jerome Robbins. She was also my ballet teacher in Reno. They both took me aside and talked with me afterwards. Maggie said that I stuck out like a sore thumb, and that I should go to New York. I completely trusted her, because she had been so successful. She had accomplished what I wanted to do. I was elated by her advice, but also terrified. I had this very scary image of New York in my mind. I was certain that I would be mugged and raped. All I really knew about New York was what I had seen in the Charles Bronson Deathwish movies. My brother and I had watched the whole series.      

Carol Channing told me that she loved  the show, and that she planned to come see me in "42nd Street". At that time, the dance captain was trying to get me into the show on Broadway. I eventually landed a spot in the European Tour, and opened in Vienna. It blew my mind that Carol Channing always talked to me in a way that made me feel like I was the star, and she was the chorus girl. She knows how to make people feel fantastic. It's a gift that she has. Anyway, I was so fortunate to have these two ladies encourage and guide my career. I sure miss them.

Thank you for your comments. They add so much energy and talent to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts, here, please share them. 

6 comments:

  1. So neat! To have that ability and experience! And to think your dream only waited for 10 years to have that very part! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea. Yes, that was the part I dreamed of doing. I have auditioned here in LA for the original Maggie, Kay Cole, a couple of times. She is really something special. So kind and sweet.

      Delete
  2. It must have been a wonderful experience. I can see from your writing how much you enjoy dancing and singing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was Nil. Yes, I LOVE singing, dancing, and acting. The writing also brings in another dimension.

      Delete
  3. I remember seeing Carol Channing in "Hello Dolly" in 1970 or maybe 1971 at the DAR Constitution Hall in Washington DC. She was wonderful! You are such a good writer. Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anita. How exciting that you got to see Carol Channing in "Hello Dolly". Such a classic. She did some of those songs in her nightclub act when I worked with her at MGM.

      Delete