Wednesday, June 6, 2018

How Do You Follow A Pattern?


The most common questions I receive from  new knitters is, "How do you follow a pattern?" I recommend that they start knitting dishcloths, and use a pattern that is labeled "Easy". You need to be able to cast on, knit, purl, and bind off. It helps to do several patterns at this level without adding anything complicated. This way you can read and complete a project on your own, without help. You develop confidence, technique, and independence.


I copy the pattern I'm working on  by hand. This really helped me as a beginner. When you've written what you are going to do on paper, you are memorizing it. You are getting familiar with the design, and how patterns are written. You learn the rhythm, which is very important. It's critical to use the correct size needles. It is very difficult for beginning knitters to use needles that are too large for the weight of yarn. When I first started knitting, I bought a skein of Cascade Ultra Pima yarn, and tried to knit a dishcloth on size 7 needles. I struggled and gave up, because the yarn was dk weight. I didn't know why I was having such a hard time, and my stitches kept slipping off of the slippery knitting needles.  I went back to my kitchen cotton, which was worsted weight. The thickness and cotton made all of the difference, and I was able to complete the pattern.   It takes time to develop the coordination in knitting. Later on you can add yarn overs, decreases, and lace work on larger sized needles. First you need to build a foundation of technique, and learn the basics.


Patterns with seed stitch, stockinette, basket weave, and diamonds are great starter projects  for new knitters.  They usually have a garter stitch border. Dishcloths are quick, easy, and fun. Even if you make a mistake, it's just a dishcloth, so you can still use it. It's rewarding to use things that you've made by hand in the kitchen.


Yesterday I sold a few balls of Tofutsies yarn. A couple of people admired the socks that I was making, and wanted to use the same yarn. I happened to have a huge bag of it in the trunk of my car.  I'm going to list some at my Etsy shop today. It's great for the warm weather. The socks are cool and light.  I have been working on a pair of simple blue socks for a friend who crochets. I figured this yarn would go well with jeans. I finished the first sock this morning. I took it in for her to try on, and it fit perfectly. We were so pleased. Fantastic! It's  always a relief when what you are making fits the recipient.  What's on your needles  these days? 

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comment with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.


12 comments:

  1. I think my comment didn't "take" so I will try to re-create it! Your knitting is beautiful. I appreciate your tips because I hope to learn to knit next. I have a book on making baby hats and one on making washcloths. Washcloths (or dishcloths) are perfect with your soap! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea, Thanks for rewriting your comment. I didn't get the first one. That's wonderful that you plan to knit dishcloths and washcloths. I love them with the homemade soaps as gifts. I look forward to seeing what you make!

      Delete
  2. I love that you write out the pattern. I don't knit but do quilt and write my own patterns. It makes the process so much smoother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lady Locust, It is so helpful on so many levels to write out the pattern. Even just reading the pattern thoroughly makes a huge difference. I would love to see some of your quilts. That's wonderful that you write your own patterns.

      Delete
  3. Learning to knit is something I've been wanting to do for a long time.
    When I start, I will definitely write the pattern as you do.
    I love your knitting. The are beautiful and very neat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nil. I think you will be a terrific knitter. It's such a fun hobby.

      Delete
  4. I do enjoy knitting, though I’ve never tried anything too complicated. I love your idea of a hand knitted dishcloth with a home made bar of soap xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl. It wasn't really my idea, but they do go nicely together.

      Delete
  5. I often photocopy a pattern and increase the size of it at the same time, A4to A3. Then I mark it off on the copy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tania, I check off each row as I go, too. I also like that highlighter tape. It helps me mark my place in the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i will read a pattern several times, i have never rewritten a pattern out; i use a note book to mark down my rows as i knit, especially for patterns like lace, cables, it keeps me focused & i always know where i'm up to; pattern panels are usually not very big (except the occasional one), am currently knitting a combined lace & cable cardigan, thoroughly enjoying the process as have never knitted the two together before.
    everyone develops their own ways of knitting, different styles but it is a worthwhile skill to invest in i think; i also do a little crochet but can't read crochet patterns.
    great post
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Selina, Your new pattern sounds interesting. I learned to read crochet patterns by starting with easy ones and watching the tutorials that explained them. I like moogleyblog.com.

    ReplyDelete