Sunday, June 10, 2018

The Hens Are Settled In Their Coop


Today I spent some time fixing up the chicken coop. I needed to remove the cobwebs, wash the French windows, and have some of the chicken wire repaired. My neighbors came over and helped me. They reattached the chicken wire to the side of the coop, where it had come loose in a few places.


The chickens slept in Lana's old dog crate last night. I lined it with straw.  They were huddled together for safety. This morning they started to venture out, so I removed the dog crate and let them transition to the hen house. I just love this chicken coop. It is beautifully designed, using recycled French windows and doors. Because of the windows, they can see the orchard.  You can also hear the neighbor's chickens and rooster. It's such a natural environment for them. It feels good to be using the coop again.


After they've been in here for a week, I will open the door, and let them start free ranging. It's a large yard, so they will get lots of exercise and sunshine. They will be able to scratch in the dirt,  and take dust baths. They gobbled up the spinach, red wiggler worms, and mealy bugs from the compost pile that I gave them. I am hoping that they will start laying soon. I cooked up some hard boiled eggs and fed them those, too. The protein seems to help them lay. We'll see...


I finished these socks a few days ago. I just blocked them, and will deliver them to my friend next week. I think this yarn will go very well with blue jeans.     

Thank you for your comments. They add so much energy and talent to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.
  

12 comments:

  1. They look bigger than I thought. Hopefully they will lay soon and you can have fresh eggs from your own hens. That's so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, I have been taking care of my neighbor's chickens over the weekend, so she gave me all of the eggs. She has a flock of over twenty, so I have lots of eggs in the fridge! I hope mine start laying, though. They are much smaller than the regular chickens. They're very docile and delicate.

      Delete
  2. oops...have to do this again....Pretty socks....I love the sound of chickens. (Not allowed to have them here.) Cute chickens. They are the new "pet"...one that "earns its keep" with giving eggs! (the coop looks nice). Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea, I love that coop. It's so beautiful and spacious. The windows really make a difference. Most coops are dark and dusty. Thanks for the compliment on the socks. My friend was very enthusiastic about them.

      Delete
  3. Your new chickens look so happy. We are not allowed to have chickens in our area, but I do have a neighbor down the hill who has 2 sweet chickens which are supposed to be a big secret. I can hear them and their clucking makes me so happy. I call them my chicken friends. My neighbor is very happy to have Steve and I come by with the wheelbarrow to get manure for our gardens-no charge!!! The socks are perfect. You are such a talented knitter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anita, That's great that you get the chicken manure. It is so good for the soil. I love the sound of clucking that chickens make, too. Thanks for the encouragement on the socks. I could easily just knit socks all the time...I love them. Hope yours are going well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahhh Silkies! well that's what people here call those fluffy little chics, apparently great for kids too. i try not to have bantam chickens, they go clucky too often but i ended up with 3! i like the big breeds; i have a wyandotte rooster & a few crosses plus some Isa Browns which lay most of the year, they are egg factory chooks but if you want lots of eggs they are perfect, the only draw back is they only live about 4-5 years. my 1st chickens were Sussex cross & I was never out of eggs with those.
    love your little coop, looks quite cozy; hope it's warm in the winter too.
    chickens are lovely 'pets' livestock to have i reckon. not too hard to look after either. i have 9 atm (including the rooster).
    your socks look awesome, love the colour/s. must get back to knitting more too.
    look forward to seeing more of the little girls
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Selina, Yes, the silkies are really cute. I love the big chickens, too. My neighbor has them, and they lay like crazy. The coop is wonderful, thanks. Happy knitting...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would LOVE to get laying hens someday! The kids and I eat eggs every morning, plus we live in the country so it would be perfect for us. Is it a lot of work? Is it something kids could take charge of and do?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Courtney, Since you live in the country, you are probably zoned for chickens. I will write a post about it today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We used to have chickens and I really do miss the fresh eggs. Your chooks look lovely and cosy in their refurbished home xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl, The eggs are really delicious. The yolks are so orange! Yes, they are very happy in their new condo...

      Delete