Friday, June 1, 2018

Auditioning For Jersey Boys: Why I Couldn't Stop Going


One of the readers of this blog asked me to write about the show Jersey Boys. It's the story of The Four Seasons, and was a smash hit on Broadway. It is told with explicit truth, and happens to be my favorite show of all time. If you google Jersey Boys Youtube, you can see all kinds of incredible footage of the show.  The photo above is from my performing days at MGM. At that time I would have been the right age to audition. However, that didn't stop me from going. I first attended one of their open calls five years ago, when I was forty-seven. I had seen the Youtube videos of the show's highlights, and was instantly drawn to the Lorraine role. I found her vulnerability and sensitivity riveting, especially in the breakup scene with Frankie Valli.  I was absolutely magnetized to the production. I could see the brilliance in the music, choreography, and timing.

I have attended many auditions in my career, and Jersey Boys stands out as being the most memorable and exciting. The energy of the creative team crackles and sizzles. Even though the show had been running for several years, they still auditioned us with  passion and enthusiasm. As you entered the room, you could feel the vibration of master energy and power from behind the table.  I went to five different calls. Most were in LA and one was in Las Vegas. I always got the impression that they were definitely looking for people. These roles take an incredible amount of talent, and the types they need are very specific.

Their musical directors are outstanding, and they play your sheet music with relaxed confidence. It was such a gift to hear such  trained musicianship coming out of the piano. Bob Gaudio wrote the songs,  and my own sense is that his genius is the foundation of the show. The music is thrilling, and it makes the audience want to sing along. It's  alive, pulsating, sexy, and at the same time, uplifting. The arrangements and adaptions, in my opinion, have made the original sound even better. Sergio Trujillo's choreography is seamless and pure. It makes you want to dance, yet it appears effortless, classy, and clean. He doesn't do to much or too little: The steps and movement are just enough, which is an art.

Associate choreographer Danny Austin runs the dance part of the call, and maintains the show.  He really takes the time to work with the dancers, showing them exactly what he wants. He has beautiful lines. He gives you a story to use behind the movement.  I was elated by his presence. Richard Hester, who alongside Danny directs the tours and Norwegian Bliss cast, is an intelligent, quiet observer. He is very truthful. A compliment from him made my heart sing. Merri Sugarman, the casting director, was organized, quietly encouraging, and calm.

The whole team really noticed if you had worked on the material and improved. I was so obsessed that I practiced the steps and songs every single day into my early fifties. I knew that I was WAY too old for that show, but I could not shake the desire to audition. It has that effect on people. In a recent interview, Frankie Valli and Bob Gaudio mentioned that some audience members had returned to see the show over 600 times! I feel the same way. I never tire of the songs, and to me the show is a a work of art. A theatrical experience like this comes along once in a lifetime. I hope you can see it.     

Thank you for your comments. They add so much energy and talent to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the articles here, please share them.

 

6 comments:

  1. I understand, Stephenie...such is the power of live performance and good theater. They speak to people and move them in ways even good film and books cannot.
    The combination of performer and audience energy becomes a very powerful force, even in a tiny venue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, Jill. There are so many layers of talent in that show. As you said, it's a very powerful force.

      Delete
  2. I have never seen the show but you make me want go and see it. I think next time it is showing in my local theatre I will book tickets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful, Cherie. Some of the tours are going back out again.

      Delete
  3. It is totally fascinating that you were able to do all of this. It is truly a God-give gift that not many have, but you do! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Andrea. I was very fortunate, but it also took a lot of training, practice, and persistence.

    ReplyDelete