Saturday, June 9, 2018

Three New Chickens


My neighbor decided to give me her three chickens. Two are completely black, and the third is totally white. They are downy and silky. I don't know the name of the variety. I will ask her. They are very petite, and absolutely gorgeous!

I spent some time this afternoon preparing the coop for them. I put down straw bedding, filled their nest boxes with pine needles, and washed out the food and water bowls that were still in the coop from my last chicken. She was a sweetheart and she lived to be almost twenty!


They are tucked in bed now, sleeping. I felt so maternal as I was checking in on them. They look absolutely peaceful and serene, and really make me feel connected with nature. I have missed having chickens. I can't wait to see them in the morning. I will take some photos and post them. Do you have chickens?

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.

4 comments:

  1. Oh how wonderful Stephenie. Can't wait to see the photos. 😊
    One day I want to have chickens. I have to fence the yard first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. chickens are wonderful to have, fresh eggs! i have 9 at the moment, not laying much, not sure if it's the weather putting them off, they need a break every so often i guess.
    your neighbour get some new chickens? i'd like a few more, have 9 including a rooster.
    look forward to seeing your new girls
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kept chickens about 35 years ago. We would love to keep some now but our life style makes it impractical. Perhaps one day in a few years time we will keep a little flock.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure they will love your tree covered property as well as the wonderful coop that you have. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete