Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Inspiring Footage From Broadway Musicals



I just caught up with the new articles in Dance Magazine. Yesterday I sent in my latest to the editor. Once the changes and rewrites are finished, it will be posted online. I will share the link here. I read this article this afternoon, and had to share it with you. It  has some fabulous Broadway numbers from some of my favorite musicals. I could watch these clips over and over again. They are packed with talent, passion, emotion, and inspiration.

When I worked with Juliet Prowse, she brought in all of her old tapes from her nightclub act and television specials. After the show, we sat and watched them as a cast. She ordered everyone beer and pizza. It was an incredible night. After the last tape had ended, she told us, "That is an era that's gone now."  She shook her head. I felt very sad. That's the way I feel when I watch this material. It was such a special time on Broadway. I guess it means that I'm getting older. I'm not as thrilled with some of the new shows. A friend of mine told me that at an Equity safety meeting they were told, "Broadway's changing, and we have to change with it." I long for the days when things were based on talent, and not on special effects, technology, and dangerous stunts. There are new and different trends. The one constant in life is change.


I don't mean to sound negative. I love Broadway, and always will. Theater will continue to evolve. I am so grateful that we have Youtube.  It's filled with genius work. I hope that you enjoy watching these videos. Sylviane did a wonderful job. I feel so lucky to be writing for Dance Magazine. It's exciting to be part of something that's bigger and better than you are.  

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing the article with the wonderful clips. Such talent to enjoy. I agree that tastes have changed and the focus appears to be shifting away from the human's ability to the physical "wow" experience achieved through computerized sets, amplification and tricks (I hope I am expressing myself properly). So sad. It would be a treat to watch those clips with a professional dancer to see the differences in perception. Do you watch the techniques, footwork, timing or just take in the whole screen as we talentless and awestruck mere mortals do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anita, Thanks for commenting. You articulated that perfectly. In those days, the sets were far simpler, yet you still were completely moved. The directors, choreographers, and performers were on fire! I never get tired of these performances. The artists are exceptional.

    I get carried away by the energy. I go back and analyze and study. I'm always trying to figure out the formula. It's mysterious and awesome.

    ReplyDelete