Tuesday, June 12, 2018

The First Egg


Yesterday afternoon Snow White laid an egg. I could see her trying to push it out, so I quietly crept inside to give her some privacy. As I peered through the glass, Midnight stretched out her feathers and glared at me, as if to say, "Scram! Can't you see she's trying to concentrate?"

I drove over to Fox Feed and bought a nest box. One will be enough for the three of them to share. They will take turns. I have a couple homemade boxes that are placed fairly high, but Silkies can't fly. They tend to sleep on the floor, or close to it. I figured I could just rest this one on the straw. For those who don't know, you provide nest boxes so that the chickens will have a safe place to lay their eggs. 


I went back in to check, and there was an tiny egg on the floor, near the door. I made a huge fuss and thanked her profusely. I always did that with my other chickens, and they seemed to enjoy it. She didn't use the nest box, but that's okay. I hope that in time she will get the idea. I placed a golf ball in it to encourage her.

Last night, as the sun went down, all three hens decided to pile into the nest box to sleep. I guess I will have to give them a lower perch. Normally, hens "go home to roost" at night, and they sleep standing up, on a branch. Mine acted more like rabbits. They all curled up in the new nest box, using it like a bed. The two black ones pushed Snow White out, because it was too crowded.  She decided to perch on the edge of the  box. Her silhouette looked absolutely beautiful in the dark. She glows like the moon. I was so proud of her for learning the ropes so quickly. There she was, standing on her own perch, after laying a beautiful tiny egg. It was a very productive day! 


All of the chickens were squawking loudly this morning. I was sure that I was going to have at least two more eggs today. Nothing yet, but I am hopeful for tomorrow. I caught a grasshopper and fed it to Midnight. She gobbled it up, eagerly. Chickens sure are fun. I love watching them.  This is how small the Silkie eggs are, compared to a large egg. 

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.

14 comments:

  1. Congrats! So cute, you gave her some privacy. lol Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea, She seemed to appreciate it. It seems like it takes a lot of work and energy to lay an egg. It can take hours...

      Delete
  2. How wonderful, my 2 silkies are nearly 4 months, I have read several articles about when they should start laying, some have said 6 months at the earliest others a lot longer, we are going to buy a couple more hens in the next month which are all ready laying, there is a big local breeder, who keeps all kinds of chickens. I just love my silkies they really are such characters, they chase me around everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, UK Frugal Living. I can't wait until I can let mine out of the coop so they can free range. That way they can eat outside, by the fruit trees. The pomegranate provides lots of shade. Your silkies sound so sweet.

      Delete
  3. ha ha ha too funny but i get it; with my first 'flock' i was hovering around the nest boxes collecting the eggs as they were laid too! still wet even!
    got in trouble from the kids at the time cos they wanted to collect the eggs
    it's a great feeling, having your own produce & not having to rely on the shops so much.
    look forward to reading the next chapter
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Selina. I've done the same thing. It's amazing to feel an egg that when it is still wet and warm. It's exciting. Mother Nature at her finest. I'm getting inspired to grow more food.

      Delete
  4. That's so exciting!
    How often does a hen lay eggs? Do they do it daily?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, Some chickens lay almost daily. I used to have a little bantie who gave me thirty eggs a month. They don't lay as often after the first few years. The Silkies average three eggs per week. I think they will be laying less, now that they are a little older. It still should be plenty for one person.

      Delete
  5. I am enjoying having chickens vicariously through your blog!! I love their names. Tell them all that they have some encouragement from down south.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anita. They are so much fun. I feel like a child when I'm around them. We appreciate your encouragement. They are voracious eaters. I am amazed at how much spinach they eat.

      Delete
  6. They are settling in nicely.
    I loved the photo of Lula peeking at them in the coop! She's having so many nice, new adventures since she came to live at the Pink Cottage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure are, Jill. I love that photo, too. Lula has been so excited since they arrived. She had chickens at her old place, and she has already stolen a hard boiled egg that I had cut in half, and had cooling on the counter. They all make the cottage feel like a home.

      Delete
  7. Hi Stephenie,

    Congratulations on Snow Whites first egg!

    I have perches and some with nest boxes up on them. For the chickens that cant fly, hubby made a ladder for them to climb up and they use it all the time. Problem solved!

    Recently I learned that chickens like to lay eggs down low, like under bushes etc. I thought this actually made sense so I have placed a nest box on the ground for those hens that prefer a down low position to do their business. Both of the nest boxes (high and low) get used, so I have managed to accommodate everyone :)

    I love Silkie's too and have always had one or two in my mix of breeds. At the moment I only have a white Silkie rooster in charge of all the girls :)

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Tania, Yes, that's true. One of my other hens built a nest out of pine needles, under a huge old pine tree. It was hidden, and had seven or eight eggs in it by the time I discovered it. I had thought that she'd stopped laying. That's interesting that you've been able to keep Silkies in with your other birds. I was afraid they might get bullied. Thanks for the info. I will try the ladder.

    ReplyDelete