Friday, August 24, 2018

Being Your Own Travel Agent


In the past year, I have learned a lot about booking discount hotels and flights from my home. It takes time to find the best deals and to secure them.  I recently have been planning a cruise on NCL from Barcelona Spain, to Rome, Italy. I chose this cruise because at four nights, it is more affordable than the longer cruises. I love the ship, the shows look fantastic, and I can't wait to see Naples and the Amalfi Coast.  I got a reduced fare as a friend of one of the VIP's at NCL. He's gotten me hooked on cruising. I save all year for the big splurge.

Initially, it was fun to search for hotels and flights. When I got down to the actual booking, I was surprised to find that my first choice of hotel was already fully booked. It only has nineteen rooms.  I love historical hotels with charm and character. I continued to search, and found another gorgeous place for an even better price: $120.00 for the night. It's in a beautiful and safe area, and there is a shuttle that drops you off from the airport, right near the door. I decided to book my flight two nights before my cruise, so that I won't be worried about missing the ship. The first night I will be in the air.

A friend of mine booked a trip a few years ago cruising with Disney. When I asked her how her cruise had gone, she answered, "Terrible. We spent the whole time chasing the ship!" Ugh. Nobody wants that to happen on their vacation. It's stressful and upsetting. I learned when traveling with Broadway shows to allow several hours of extra time to get to and from the airport. You never know what will happen. One time one of our cast members forgot his passport, and we had to turn the bus around and drive back to his apartment! This was in New York City, and I will never forget it. Because our company manager had allowed so much extra time, we still made our flight to Vienna. 

For this trip, I have a nonstop flight, which I love. I locked in a one way ticket at $300.00. I was very pleased with the price. I plan to sleep on the plane, and will wake up in Spain. Some people stay in a hotel for two nights before their cruise. That way they can rest, recover from jet lag, and have a leisurely time boarding.

This morning, while looking at return flights, I started to run into trouble. I called up a travel agent and she went through a few difference options with me.  I thought it would be nice to take a train to Venice, and then fly home from Milan. When she started quoting me the airfares home, (some of them $2,000.00-$3,000.00!) It didn't matter that I was booking several months in advance. I became  extremely nervous. It was starting to sound very complicated, expensive, and risky. I explained to her that I was worried that I might get delayed, and that I hadn't  realized how much more expensive one way flights back to LA were from other European countries.  Round trip from LA to Barcelona can be $500.00. I didn't realize that Rome port would make such a difference.


I asked her if there was any simpler way, and she suggested calling NCL. They can arrange your flight and transportation from the pier to the airport for you. This gave me a huge sense of relief. The flights are more expensive, but I felt safer and much more relaxed about letting them handle the return trip. I ran all of the numbers, and I was still within my budget. My flight home with them will cost $667.00. I will be with a group from the cruise traveling to the airport from the port. It feels safe and secure.

There are many hidden costs with travel. In my case, I board my dog, take a bus, train, and flyaway bus to and from the airport. I like to plan trips eight months to a year in advance, so that I can enjoy looking forward to the trip, and secure the flights and hotels. Do you book your own travel plans, or use a travel agent?     

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them. 

    

23 comments:

  1. What a lovely holiday to look forward to! I book things myself so I can look for good deals. I always book accomodation that is self contained because then I can make meals and save money on food/eating out. Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meg, I love getting the good deals, too. Making meals saves a huge amount of money as compared to eating in restaurants.

      Delete
  2. I think you are incredibly brave to do that. It sounds very stressful to me. I think I am content to take budget holidays with my local bus company. That way I can use the hotel as a base and go off on local buses if the organised trips aren't to my liking. Having said that, we have only once opted out of a trip (to Belgium) and spent a fabulous day exploring the area surrounding the hotel in Folkestone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie, Oh Belgium must have been beautiful. I enjoy riding the local buses, too. I feel comfortable with the details of this trip. I did a lot of research before booking.

      Delete
    2. That particular day out was what I can only describe as a 'booze cruise'.. Straight to the hypermarket to stock up on alcohol and cigarettes… neither of which interested us at all. We had a far nicer day in Folkestone.

      Delete
  3. wow, 8mths to a year in advance? i can't even fathom that! but i have heard that it's best to start a year in advance cos when it's time there usually isn't any flights left! sounds a little scary doing it on your own even though you're in a group, i hope you get pleasant company! look forward to it!
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Selina, Thanks. I think it's going to be fabulous. For me, the planning is half of the fun. They have 50 single cabins that are usually booked. If you want to meet with the other solo travelers and make plans, you can. I always meet friendly and interesting people when I travel.

      Delete
  4. good on you.. im sure your travels will be so worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela. I think so, too! I love the anticipation.

      Delete
  5. Travel can be very expensive, we have never flown. My husband used to be a coach driver which took him all over Europe, my son and I also went on many of the trips, we have been to some wonderful places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fantastic, Living Simply. In retrospect, if I'd chosen a cruise that started and ended in Barcelona, I could have gotten a cheaper return flight. Now I know for next time. My travel used to be paid for by the producers of the shows I did. We got to see so much of Europe and get paid! Your adventures sound wonderful.

      Delete
  6. A new and exciting adventure! It sounds just the right mix of sea and land too.
    you must be quite excited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill. I think so, too. Yes, I am thrilled. Hope you are doing well.

      Delete
  7. Glad you got everything sorted out Stephenie.
    It sounds exciting and something to really
    look forward to🌼

    In answer to your question we use a mixture of both x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I did this time, too, Fiona. It is exciting. There's so much to watch on Youtube.

      Delete
  8. Yes, a lot of costs with traveling! You are smart to do your "homework" and doing this yourself, you can double check and not have any surprises! Non-stop flights are the best...you pay for that but it can take away a lot of hardships. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea, Yes, the travel agent said the same thing about the nonstop flight. There are many extra costs, so I itemize them. I just bought my travel insurance today.

      Delete
  9. How exciting! I find planning a trip and looking forward to it are really fun too.
    Normally one way tickets are more expensive. Your $300 ticket to Spain is a steal. Once I paid over $600 for a round trip ticket to Washington state! And that's the best I could find a couple of months in advance.
    I always book domestic flights by myself. Sometimes I do the same for international flights, but if it's a mult-city itinerary, I use a travel agent.
    I can't wait to hear all about your trip. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds wise, Nil. It's amazing how the prices fluctuate with flights. The cruises are the same way. There are all different prices.

      Delete
  10. Your trip sounds like it will be amazing. I agree with you-planning is an enjoyable part of the trip. Because I traveled so much on business for 35 years I have learned the hard way that you must always be very early for any flight. I would rather be at an airport, watching people or sitting in the lounge, than fretting in the hotel or at home over events of which I have no control.

    Barcelona is a wonderful city-one of my favorites. Being a bit of a history nerd I loved the Roman city ruins that are underneath the city. They have excavated much of the Roman city and made a museum of it. It is right next to the Picasso Museum.

    I don't know if you tried it, but sometimes it makes sense to do a multi-city booking with the airlines.

    I am looking forward to reading more about your preparations. Nothing new to report on our cruise other than the ship has not yet left the building dock!!! No name for the ship has been selected at this point either.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to see those museums, Anita. I didn't try the multi-city booking with the airlines. I will look into that, thank you. I look forward to hearing about your trip as things unfold, too.

    ReplyDelete