Friday, August 10, 2018

Staying At The Sophia Hotel In San Diego


Santa Fe Station in San Diego is beautifully designed. It's like taking a step back in time. Anita, (who comments here regularly,) happens to live in San Diego. She told me that the city was planning to tear it down; I'm so glad that they didn't. It's just glorious. I walked  around, soaking in the ambiance and snapping photos. What a special and scenic place it is.


The tiles and the decor in the cafe were so artistic and distinct. I didn't have a cup of coffee while I was there. Next time I will. I loved the energy in the waiting room. The windows and the floors were so pretty. The archways were grand and impressive, too. The wooden benches  reminded me of the rich past. I love the quality. They are so much nicer than those made of plastic. 


I knew I'd be walking away from the ocean, up Broadway. I glanced at my notes to check the address of  The Sophia Hotel. Broadway was clearly marked at the station, so I just followed the signs. There is a vintage trolley that you can take, as well. I figured after all of that sitting on the train, I'd rather get some exercise. I had my Burley Travoy Bike Trailer with me,  which doubles as a luggage cart.


Shortly after I started walking, I was there! I saw the front of the hotel. It's a  grand entrance. "There it is!" I thought to myself, excitedly.  When I was researching where to stay, I felt like my mom was whispering to me, "Stay at The Sofia!" This nudging  happened a couple of times, as I was comparing prices. After reading the reviews, I knew that it sounded like the kind of style that I like, so I booked a room. It is a very classy and posh hotel. Since I was only in town for one night, I decided to splurge. It was definitely worth it.



I had arranged for early check in, and my room was ready to go. The desk staff was very polite and helpful. I took the elevator up to the seventh floor, and let myself in with my key card. The room had a fridge, microwave, flat screen television, wifi, and toiletries. It was all very luxurious. There was even a personal coffeemaker, which I love. They offer free bicycles and yoga classes.  I unpacked my bags and carefully researched the bus schedule. 

More on this trip over the next several days....Thanks for visiting. 


Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them. If you hit the follow button you'll receive new posts in your email box.


10 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I need to go someplace like that! I hope you have a great time (or had a great time!) Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is, Andrea. I can't wait to return. I hope you get to go. It's fabulous!

      Delete
  2. That train station looks beautiful. I love old architecture. Sometimes I wonder with the the new technology we have today, why can't we make beautiful buildings? When everything was done manually or with simple machines people still took time to build buildings with character. Now, new buildings are mainly just boxes of concrete and glass.

    The Sophia hotel looks very nice. I'm glad you decided to splurge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love old architecture, too, Nil. I completely agree with everything that you said. The artistry isn't there. That's why I love to knit the old vintage patterns. They had so much style, care, and attention to detail. The Sophia Hotel was worth it. It's so classy. Thanks for the encouragement.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely building,
    Elegant and Simple.
    The tiled walls in the
    waiting room are beautiful.
    I love it :)
    Thank you for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too, Fiona. Thanks for the comment. You described it so well.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing the photo of your room. I meant to ask you about it. It looks as lovely as the lobby. The city government did a good thing by saving the Santa Fe Station downtown.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They sure did, Anita. The room was nice and quiet. It was very peaceful. I will definItaly stay there again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The room is beautiful and the building to! Your photos make traveling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Fabricole. The Sophia is very charming and elegant. So glad that you enjoyed the photos.

    ReplyDelete