Sunday, August 19, 2018

Spending Time Outside



Lula and I have been spending a great deal of time out on the front porch, soaking in the healing vibes of nature.  I have my morning coffee and all of my meals out there. She lays on the cool cement in the evenings, snoozing under the porch light. The breeze is cool and comforting. It gives us a respite from these hot summer days.

I went grocery shopping yesterday, and bought a few treats. I decided to add some variety to my diet, since I tend to buy lots of vegetables for salad, and whatever fruits are on sale. My meals had become very repetitious, and kind of boring.

 I picked up some strawberries, peaches, watermelon, and sea salt caramel gelato. Lamb chops were marked down, so I made a package of those last night, season them with rosemary, salt, pepper, and garlic. I had them with whipped potatoes. I'd forgotten how much I love a meal of meat and potatoes. There's something so satisfying about it. It reminds me of my childhood. When we were growing up, my mother always cooked us delicious dinners.

I whipped up a batch of sweetened whipped cream. I spooned in the sugar, and measured out a capful of  vanilla extract, just like my mom used to do. It was absolutely divine paired with the fresh strawberries. I felt like I was eating like a queen! Having special meals is so uplifting. It's amazing how something special in a meal can be so exciting.

The hens have been laying eggs regularly. They are enjoying fresh corn on the cob, cucumbers, and romaine lettuce. I give them a small pail full of homemade compost each morning. They scamper and scratch to find  the live bugs. It's so satisfying to collect their eggs each morning, and to harvest the fresh zucchini. I cooked one tonight, and ate it like a potato, with butter, salt and pepper. It was simple, but flavorful. It reminded me of baby food. The green skin was so shiny,  bright,  and healthy.  It looks like once the zucchini plants are finished with their cycle, I will have some pumpkins. Are you growing any food?

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.

20 comments:

  1. I have been feeling the same way regarding to meals as it is nearing the end of winter here. I have been teaching myself how to make Indian curries and experimenting with spices recently - warming, delicious and hearty! Sometimes we just need to change things up in the kitchen dont we?

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma, Yes, it's amazing what a difference a forgotten or delicious recipe makes. The same old, same old can get boring. Your Indian curries sound delicious.

      Delete
  2. Hello Stephanie, we spend lots of time outside and take advantage of the good weather and eat all our meals outdoors, it is wonderful.
    Simple food combinations are the best I think, I have been looking for new meal ideas as you say it can become repetitive.
    I long for our girls to start laying, the older 2 are 6 months now so not sure how much longer we will have to wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure either, Living Simply. My hens were three when I got them. I would think that yours are almost there. They need a certain amount of light to lay. Our days are getting shorter, so I'm not sure when mine will take a winter break. Eating meals outdoors is fantastic. It adds another dimension to the experience.

      Delete
  3. Such a lovely post, time outside with Lula at your feet, enjoying your garden and fresh produce. Simple things but blissful! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meg, Yes, Lula is such good company. Dogs seem to be calmer when they spend several hours per day outdoors. Kind of like kids...

      Delete
  4. Lula is so cute!! Your meals sound very good! Whipped cream with strawberries is a good classic desert! I agree, meat and whipped potatoes are simple yet very delicious. I made country-fried steak and mashed potatoes yesterday. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea, I love country-fried steak with mashed potatoes. That's one of my favorite meals. It's so satisfying. Glad to hear you are eating well.

      Delete
  5. I think yesterday was a day of treats for both you and me. I have managed to source (and buy) violet syrup this morning. In my flower border I have sweetcorn almost ready to eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie, I had never heard of violet syrup until reading your post. It's such a beautiful shade of purple. I will be cooking some sweet corn today, too. Enjoy!

      Delete
  6. oh, how delicious..!!
    I love collecting eggs from our coop too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela, Thank you for the comment. It's so rewarding to pick up the fresh eggs from the nest boxes. My hens always act like they are going to work when they settle into it to lay...

      Delete
  7. We spend a lot of time outdoors as well. Last spring we splurged on new patio furniture for our back patios that is so comfortable and beautiful. Because the back of the house is west we are able to get the sea breeze back there (when it blows). We use umbrellas for sun protection. There is always something going on out there-birds in the fountain, lizards, butterflies, bees in the lavender-never ending excitement. I can knit or read out there for hours if I choose.

    Yummy-strawberries and whipped cream. That is one of my favorites. I love lamb chops on the grill too. Just salt, pepper and some herbs d- provence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your back patio sounds enchanting, Anita. I love the way you describe it. I feel the same way about my front porch.

      Delete
  8. Lula looks so happy :)

    Strawberries and freshly whipped cream lovely🍓🍓

    Glad you bought yourself some nice treats
    change is good for us.

    Have a lovely week🌼x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona. Lula is easy to please and happy go lucky. Treats make life very pleasant. Hope you have a lovely week, too.

      Delete
  9. Lula is so cute. :)
    It's so good to change what we eat from time to time. I'm not a big meat eater, but once in a while I too buy lamb and make a special dish.
    The other day I made cauliflower mash for the first time. It was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your meals sound lovely! How wonderful to be able to eat outside and enjoy the energy of the garden too.
    I love the idea of seasonal eating. Waiting for, and eating each crop at it's peak is both delicious and cost effective.
    Glad the girls are laying again....they are eating so well too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nil, Cauliflower mash sounds delicious. New foods and recipes make it feel like a holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jill, The hens are eating VERY well. It's increased the egg production. You're right about the energy of the garden. You can't put a price on it.

    ReplyDelete