Friday, August 3, 2018

Saving Money By Growing Food


When I first bought my cottage, I wanted to make use of the land. I knew that it would be ideal for growing fruits and vegetables. We get a tremendous amount of sun in Southern California. It provides the plants with the light that they need. Sometimes I struggle with the unpleasantness of the heat, but I know that our hot summers are what's needed in order to grow food, (Especially year round.)


I picked another zucchini this morning. Rather than cooking it in butter and garlic,  I decided to eat it raw. I cut it into matchsticks. To my surprise, it was delicious! Sometimes the home grown vegetables taste best with very little preparation. The young ones are so tender.

The hummingbirds have been visiting the Four O'Clocks. They are tubular flowers, that are excellent pollinators. I save the seeds each year, and scatter them. Some people consider them as weeds, but I like them. My neighbor gave me the initial seeds twenty years ago. I always think of her when they bloom.


Each morning I check for male and female blossoms on the zucchini. I pollinate them by hand. That's a male flower above, and a wilted female flower at the end of the zucchini next to it.  It's easy to transfer the pollen. The sunflowers are buzzing with active bees. I love sitting on the porch and watching the birds, butterflies, bees, and lizards. It makes me feel happy and connected with nature.


Although I don't grow as much food as I used to, it still is a big help, financially. The routine of farming  feels healthy and earthy. I enjoy drinking  fresh orange juice for many months of the year. The lemons and limes are delicious in cooking and baking. I eat the fresh vegetables daily, and use them in salads.  It's convenient to go "shopping" for food just outside your doorstep  in your own garden. Do you grow your own food?

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.

10 comments:

  1. I love reading about your garden Stephenie.
    I've never eaten raw zucchini. I must try it soon. 😊

    Several months ago I bought a four o'clock plant at a yard sale. It's still very small. I hope it will attract hummingbirds like your plant.

    Hope you are having a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nil, I think it's an unusual taste. I had some marinated in Italian salad dressing today. If you plant flowers, and goes to seed, you can reseed them. They are very easy to grow. (Well, in California they are.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden is providing you with lovely produce, Stephenie. I always think home grown always tastes better because it's just so fresh. My veg patch needs an overhaul when we get back from holiday, it needs replenishing ready for the early Spring. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg. I'm so pleased. The chickens love cucumbers, so maybe they will like zucchini, too. Enjoy your holiday.

      Delete
  4. I love zucchini! I often grate it to have with a bolognaise sure instead of pasta and just spoon the hot sauce on top of the raw grated zucchini and sprinkle some fresh parmasen. I sub it as pasta With a variety of sauces often as a healthier option. Such a versatile veggie!

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds delicious, Emma. Will have to try it. I love zucchini bread, too. It's a nice dessert with a cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This has been a bust of a year in our gardens this year. It was too hot too soon. The root vegetables, carrots, beets, turnips, radishes did really well early on and we were enjoying them for many weeks. Lettuce is a no go with this recent heat and the ground squirrel invasion. Bell peppers are being sunburned and stunted. I am hoping for better in the winter garden this fall. We don't grow zucchini because Steve does not like squash. Each year in the garden is always different and I think that is what makes gardening so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too bad, Anita. I hope your next garden does well. I plan to plant some beets this month. I thought they were grown in the cold weather. I love growing squash; I find them pretty easy. You're right, each year is very different.

      Delete
  7. You have the perfect weather for growing veggies and fruits! Yours look so healthy! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea. I've learned to plant them in semi shade. The direct sun here is just too intense. The compost and mulch really make a difference. Healthy soil is such a positive force.

      Delete