Thursday, August 9, 2018

Taking The Train Along The Coast To San Diego


Tuesday morning I got up early and prepared for my trip to San Diego. First I drove up the mountain, and dropped Lula off at the kennel. She stays at a gorgeous place five miles from here. The location looks like a campground; she absolutely loves it.  As I was packing her things in the trunk, she zipped in front of me and jumped into the back seat of my Beetle. It was as if she didn't want me to forget her. She's so funny. For the past few days I had been telling her that she was going to "dog camp". She seems to really enjoy being with all of the other dogs. It's a very popular place.


After dropping off Lula, I returned home. My neighbor dropped me off at the train station, and I took the commuter train to Union Station, which is an old, classic landmark. I love the style of the decor. They've kept the charm and historical feel. I sat outside in the courtyard and read my kindle. The shady trees and fountains create a peaceful atmosphere.  The waiting room there is absolutely gorgeous. I was so impressed. The other times that I've used Amtrak, I have waited upstairs in the VIP Lounge, because I had a sleeper car. It's completely modern.  I was just as happy with a coach ticket, sitting in the regular waiting room. It really has a feel of old California, back in the day...I munched on the homemade parmesan popcorn that I had packed in my backpack.


The view on the three hour trip was spectacular. The ocean was so inviting. It made me long to live in a house on the beach.  The cliffs and hillsides were breathtaking. The views took my breath away. It made me feel so fortunate to live in California. We stopped in Fullerton, where my mother was born and raised. I said a mental hello to her.  The stations all had so much charm and character. I had a smoked turkey and cheese sandwich for lunch that I had brought with me. This train doesn't have a dining car, but it does have a cafe car. I went there and bought a day pass for the buses and trolleys in San Diego. It cost $5.00, and came in very handy. They also sell sandwiches, chips, nuts, and snacks. You can buy a cocktail or a cup of coffee, as well.  


Once I arrived in San Diego, I found the entrance to Broadway, and walked up the street to The Sophia Hotel. There were bicycles and scooters parked near the businesses and court houses. It felt exciting to be in a city near the beach. You can also walk to the cruise ships from Santa Fe station, which was my stop. There are all kinds of travel possibilities! More about the trip tomorrow...

Thank you for your comments. They add  so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them. 
  

16 comments:

  1. Your trip sounds so nice! And looks beautiful from the pictures. Silly dog...ha! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea, Yes, Lula was as excited as I was. She didn't want me to leave her at home. The trip was incredible, Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Tania. The scenery was amazing. My neighbor and I plan to take a day trip back to the beach.

      Delete
  3. this sounds exciting!! Beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Laurie. It was really special. The mountains and ocean are gorgeous.

      Delete
  4. What a nice trip! It sounds so exciting. I love train rides. Thanks for sharing Stephenie, I look forward to reading more about your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nil. It was. I love train rides, too. It's such a relaxing way to travel. I much prefer it to flying.

      Delete
  5. How lovely, glad you had a wonderful time, we have an old steam train here and might take a trip out on it soon, and how lovely for Lula to have somewhere to go where she loves, at least you don't need to worry about her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Living Simply. That steam train sounds like fun. I love the nostalgia of train travel.

      Delete
  6. How lovely to be off again on another trip, enjoying the scenery and train ride too. Great that Lula has a good place to stay while you are away. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Meg. Lula gets just as excited about going somewhere new and different as I do. The scenery from the train was just gorgeous. It's fun to write about it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so pleased you enjoyed America's Finest City. I am looking forward to more of your photos. A day trip to the beach sounds like just the thing to do in this heat. And by September most of the tourists are gone so the beach belongs once again to we Californians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anita. I will be posting more photos today. That's good to know about September. I noticed an inviting bike bath in San Clemente from the train.

      Delete
  9. Those photos are beautiful.. Have a lovely holiday and return home safely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cherie. I am working on more posts about the trip. I took lots of photos...

      Delete