Monday, August 20, 2018

San Francisco Ballet's Jocelyn Vollmar



In my email box this morning, I received the link for Jocelyn Vollmar's obituary. "Here it is!" the message from my editor read.  It was a bittersweet moment.  I felt pleased, but also sad. Jocelyn was a stunningly beautiful ballerina, and it was an honor to write about her.

As I get older, and more people that I know (or used to know,)  have died,  it makes me see how fleeting life is. We never know how much time we will have. I feel an urge to prioritize and make big plans.

Jocelyn lived her life with passion and gusto. She accomplished her dreams, and radiated bright, hopeful, positive energy. What a shining example she was.

Here is the link.

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and enthusiasm to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.

10 comments:

  1. I found out on Friday that a close colleague of mine is fighting bowel cancer and I'm hoping its been caught in time. I hope he beats it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that, Tania. I hope he recovers.

      Delete
  2. I read your beautiful piece, it brought Jocelyn to life and made her ‘real’ to someone who never met her. We sadly went to a friends funeral last Tuesday, life is so short xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, thank you for reading it, Cheryl. That's such a relief for me to hear. She was exquisite, just like her photographs. I wanted to do her justice. I'm sorry you lost a friend. That's one of the hard parts about getting older.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore ballet and have just spotted that The Nutcracker is on at my local theatre in October. We will be booking tickets ASAP.... you have Big Plans???? I am intrigued (AKA nosey) :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love ballet, too, Cherie. The music for The Nutcracker is so beautiful. Yes, I've always believed in dreaming BIG. I have received a discounted offer for a cruise. It's a huge deal to me, because I am crazy about cruising. (especially as I get older.)

      Delete
  5. Once again, thank you for sharing the link to your writing. You are a gifted writer. Jocelyn was a lovely and talented woman and I wish I could have seen her dance. Artists of that era are so elegant. Many years ago I subscribed to Opera News and loved reading about how the retired opera stars lived today. Glamour and elegance-no dramas, no celebrity nonsense.

    Oh-a cruise! I will wait with baited breathe for more details. Only 26 months until our cruise!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Anita. So are you. I'm sure those 26 months will fly. That's probably when I will take the next one. Savings is the first priority.

      Delete
  6. Hi! I enjoyed reading that...fascinating biography and the whole world of dance is really interesting. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Andrea, Thanks for letting me know. I agree. Dancers are a special breed. Jocelyn was exquisite.

    ReplyDelete