Sunday, August 26, 2018

Purchasing Travel Insurance

Big Bear Lake, California

When traveling through California, I don't worry about insurance. I have good coverage with my medical, auto, and home policy. If going abroad, though, travel insurance is an important expense to calculate. Your coverage at home will not apply in another country. It's very important to do your homework and plan in advance. When I worked in Europe as a dancer, we had working visas, so we were covered, medically. Now that I am a tourist, it is my responsibility.   

Yesterday I did some research, and found a company with an A plus rating and reasonable rates. The one I chose specializes in cruises. I found them on this website. I was very pleased with the coverage and the price. It's so important to have travel insurance in case something goes wrong. Many travelers take their chances, but there are horror stories of people getting sick or having accidents overseas. Some have lost their homes, and everything they own. Sometimes their families step in to help, and then their financial futures are ruined Nobody thinks it's going to happen to them. It's not worth it. For $78.00, I will have peace of mind and protection.

Backstage at Theater des Westens. Berlin, Germany

On NCL, they offer travel insurance through their company. I declined it, because as a solo traveler in a balcony cabin, you are billed for two people. It's very easy to find a policy for a single person online, and you can have it paid for and ready in about fifteen minutes. You can also insure a family or a group.
 
Right now there are issues in Hawaii, with the cruises being delayed a couple of days. When we plan a trip, we hope that everything will go smoothly. If it doesn't, the insurance is there for security. Your port could be changed, there might be a hurricane or storm, or someone could have a medical emergency. For the uninsured, seeing the doctor on board for something simple can result in a bill for over $500.00. It's not included in your fare.

Filming with the cast of "42nd Street" on The Spanish Steps, Rome.

It helps to plan ahead, so that you can research your options. Studying  the reviews is very helpful. All of this takes time and effort, but it helps you to make the wisest and most frugal choices for your trip.   

10 comments:

  1. You certainly have done your research Stephenie, glad you have
    peace of mind now,and this will help others also.

    What very lovely photos 🌼 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so; thanks fiona. It really makes a difference. There are so many different prices, and things change constantly.

      Delete
  2. Very pretty, you as a blond! Very smart to buy insurance. I never even thought of getting ill and hospitalizations. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea, Thank you. The hair dept. in Berlin was excellent. I know, hopefully it won't happen, but it could.

      Delete
  3. Some credit cards also offer travel insurance as a benefit, but mostly for lost luggage, trip delays etc. If you use a credit card to buy plane tickets, see if the card has those benefits. In addition to the travel insurance policy you already purchased, it's nice to have a backup. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nil, That's true. I don't have a credit card. I just use a debit card and cash.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that travel insurance is well worth every penny. We always purchase it during the initial stages of a big trip and, while we have never had to use it, I have never regretted spending the money. We have a neighbor who is a travel agent and she handles all of the details whenever we go on expensive, complex traveling adventures like a cruise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How convenient that your neighbor is a travel agent, Anita. I agree with you; it's very worth the money.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The time you don’t get insurance will be the time you need it lol,, beautiful photos,,,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Laurie, Isn't that the truth? I just made it part of the budget. Thank you. The photos bring back happy memories.

    ReplyDelete