Saturday, August 18, 2018

Meeting People When You Travel Solo


 
While I was waiting at Union Station, on my way home from San Diego last week, I noticed a very striking woman sitting in the seat across from me. "I'm going to shut that door," she explained, and walked across the tiles to close it. She had short, grey hair, styled in a chic haircut that suited the shape of her face perfectly. Her eyes blazed with intelligence. She was extremely beautiful, and right away I wondered if she had been  a professional dancer.


I asked her a question, and we quickly got into an animated conversation. My impression of her was correct, she had studied ballet at two of the finest schools in the country: Harkness Ballet, and ABT School. She told me that she was in town with The Self Realization Fellowship. I answered that a friend of mine was very involved with them, and that they were probably attending the same conference. They do a lot of meditation. She had a very bright aura, and was brimming with enthusiasm. Like me, she loved to travel, and found it exciting and energizing. We sat and people watched, and I pointed out an etherial looking elderly woman, who was walking slowly through the waiting room, with perfect posture. "Elegant," she agreed. When you travel on your own, you notice the other women who are traveling alone.

She raved about the hostel near Union Station, where she was staying. She described her quad, which she was sharing with three other women. It was very clean and comfortable. The rate was only $79.00 a night, which is excellent for downtown Los Angeles.  She had just eaten lunch at a restaurant around the corner. She told me that they hire the homeless and trains them as chefs. I  had read an article about that program in a magazine recently, and told her about it.  She was highly impressed with the food and the presentation. I had seen the photos, and it looked very upscale. I agreed, it sounded like an excellent program.

We talked about ballet. She got out of it because she couldn't take all of the fighting. I nodded, sympathetically. For whatever reason, there seems to be a lot of infighting in the ballet world. All of that talent, competition, and perfection can create a stormy environment, in many cases. She was hired to dance in the ballet company at Radio City Music Hall, but her father insisted that she go to college. She did things his way, graduated, and became a flight attendant. She asked me about my dance career, and got very excited when I mentioned the shows that I had done. It made me  realize  how fortunate I had been that my parents didn't insist on my going to college. They let me go to LA and try to make it as a dancer. They even let me have my great uncle's 1967 Chevrolet Bel Aire. I had been riding around on a Yamahopper moped that I had bought with my teaching money. It only went 30 mph, but it got me to school, work, and to my dance classes.

I remember my father saying that if I could support myself, I could be a dancer. He didn't know if I would be able to or not. "What's support yourself?" I had asked him. "That means that you can pay your own bills," he replied. "Oh, okay." I had answered.

I could tell by looking at her that she definitely could have had a successful professional career. Instead, she married and moved to beautiful San Diego. Her face radiated love, excitement, and passion. It made me realize that you can meet people that you don't even know, and feel closer to them than many of those in your daily circle. So much of our connection to others has to do with  common interests and pursuits. 

Thank you for your  comments. They add so much enthusiasm and talent to the blog. Please comment in English. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.    
   

8 comments:

  1. Sometimes we meet complete strangers and after a short conversation feel as if we knew them for a long time. Shared interests make it a lot easier.
    You are so fortunate to be able to fulfill your career dreams, and most importantly to have very understanding and loving parents. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how my father handled it. Only the top one percent of dancers make enough money to support themselves. It takes a lot of hard work, dedication, and sacrifice. My aunt loved musical theater, and encouraged me to dance. My parents didn't, but I was fiercely driven and determined. My teachers were excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to be travelling and just meet a like minded person, it’s like you recognised each other’s souls, beautiful xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl, That's it. You described it perfectly. There is a kinship among dancers and artists. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. Seems like you are kindred spirits Stephanie,it's always good to meet people you instantly feel at ease with.

    Your Father sounds very fair and made you the independent woman you are now.

    I like the sound of the restaurant that is helping homeless people.

    Take care x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so, too, Fiona. Yes, everything worked out for the best. I like what that restaurant is doing too. It's giving people work, training, and confidence.

      Delete
  5. You have good intuition with meeting that lady! I heard once, from Lola Falana, (she gave a talk at our church as she was miraculously healed a couple decades ago from MS and became Catholic) that if you are meant to be something, like a dancer, that God gives you the parents to set you on the course! And I guess your dad did for you! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Andrea, My mom also loved dancing, and put me in dance classes at age 3. My parental situation was definitely right for my career. How incredible that Lola Falana healed from MS. I am always fascinated by those stories.

    ReplyDelete