Thursday, August 16, 2018

Perseverance


This morning I continued working on a shawl that I have been making. I brought it with me to the last few knitting groups that I attended. Although I had an enjoyable time socially, I messed up the count, and had to backtrack a few rows once I got home. When you have over 160 stitches on the needles, it can be aggravating to work in reverse.

As I was sitting on my couch, counting, losing count, recounting, and getting confused again, I entertained the thought of just frogging the whole project. My ego kicked in: "This fingering weight yarn is too fine, it keeps slipping off the needles, I made another mistake," and on and on. I started criticizing the yarn, deciding that it was a poor choice, even though I had loved the way it looked on Ravelry in the finished projects. I started to hate it. 

Cinderella pumpkin seedling pushing through the soil

  
 


   Feeling frustrated and inept, like I had never knit anything before, I began to blame. This pattern had been so much easier when I used worsted weight yarn that was a mixture of llama and silk. I had sailed through it that time.  In spite of my cesspool of negative thinking, I just stuck with it, and thought about how dancers rehearse. With choreography, we constantly go back and clean, and fix our mistakes. It's part of the work. It's part of being an artist. You don't whine or gripe, you just complete the task  professionally, and with a positive attitude, until it's right.


I finally found a few other mistakes. They were yarn overs. I had created two different centers.   Once I removed one of them, my count was correct. The tiny stitches are kind of a strain on my vision. I reinserted markers. I had gotten frustrated with how they were pulling the cotton/acrylic yarn out of shape, and had removed them.  They make all the difference. I will complete this shawl. It might not be the best choice of a project to bring to a group, because the stitches are hard to see. Something repetitive, like a sock, would be easier. I am determined to finish it, though. I want to see how the colors play out with the pattern.

Now it's on to work on an obituary I'm doing on a famous ballerina. I met her at my aunt's house when I was thirteen. I am struggling with this one, because she seemed so perfect. I feel like what I write won't do her justice. In spite of that, I need to plow forward and show up at the page. By putting in the time and energy, the right words will find themselves. Somehow, fixing that shawl, and not giving up on it, helps me to continue with the writing project. Perfectionism gets you nowhere. Sometimes things have to be messy and sloppy for a while, before they fall into place. 

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.

12 comments:

  1. I enjoy learning from you. There are good life lessons in this post. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cesspool of negative thinking-what a wonderful phrase! I plan on stealing that one from you for future use. I agree that some knitting projects just plain work on your last nerve. Good for you to continue on with the shawl. It is going to be beautiful and I am eager to see it finished and on display. I personally am a slave to stitch markers and row counters.

    I am working on a cardigan right now using a superwash Marino wool/silk blend yarn. I spent more on the yarn than I wanted to but it is so nice to work with. So far (knock on wood) I have only had to frog out once-and that was the second row. I will have to get some help for some of it though because I don't understand what the instructions are telling me to do with the edging. Still hot in your area?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anita, Stitch markers and row counters really help with organization and discipline. Your cardigan sounds beautiful. What a luxurious blend of fiber! It's been cooler here, but it's still hot. It makes such a difference when it's in the nineties.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how you feel about frogging shawls. The one I am currently working on is driving me crazy. I will persevere and am up to 237 stitches. I will finish it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie, Wow! 237 stitches. I have to count each stitch as I knit now. It's too hard and time consuming to do at the end of a row. I look forward to seeing your finished shawl.

      Delete
  5. Your posts are so inspiring.
    Sometimes it's hard not to get frustrated when things go wrong. When it happens to me, I stop and take a break until my head is clear again. 😊
    I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nil. It's coming along much better now. You just have to be exact and count. Taking a break is a good idea. Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  6. Well to my eyes, the shawl looks perfect! I guess you are like a painter...who knows exactly how it should be and you keep perfecting it. Good luck on the obituary! What a neat world you live in....it must've been very exciting, yet I know it was hard work and perseverance! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea. I fixed what was wrong with the shawl before taking the photographs. I just finished the obituary today. I submitted it with some fantastic photos. Yes, I am very fortunate to have worked with and met such talented artists. It is still exciting, at this age.

      Delete
  7. I am still working on my first shawl, StephenieI have fudged a few stitches here and there but only I can tell (I think) and felt better when I just let it go. Perfection can hold you back! I am sure your shawl will be beautiful and all thoe more so for being handmade. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Meg, I remember that shawl. It's so pretty. The mistakes I had made were in the center, so it would have been very noticeable. There's a yarn over on each side of the center knit stitch. It's moving along very nicely now. I look forward to seeing your shawl once it's done, too.

    ReplyDelete