Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Creamy Coconut Oil Soap Recipe



24 ounces coconut oil
3.5 ounces lye
9 ounces distilled water or rainwater

Melt coconut oil over low heat or in microwave. Add lye to water, mixing carefully and thoroughly. Be sure to follow all safety precautions for when working with lye. Let the oil and water cool for twenty minutes.

Stick blend the oil and lye water together. Once it reaches trace, pour into molds. Cover and let set. This soap hardens very quickly. It is ready to unmold in a matter of hours.

Let bars cure for six to eight weeks before using.  They will be very hard and long lasting. They work well with detailed molds.

If adding fragrance, use .8 ounce. For coloring, I used 1/2 tsp. of  rose Brazilian clay.  


This recipe has 20% superfat.  It's an excellent bar for hard water. 

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog  Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.

15 comments:

  1. That looks so easy Stephenie. Is lye expensive?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie, No, it isn't. You want to get food grade lye. I buy mine at our hardware store. It's good to watch the safety videos on Brambleberry first, if you are new to soapmaking.

      Delete
  2. I just made 100% coconut oil soap according to Chel's recipe. It's very simple, isn't it Stephenie? Only 3 ingredients! I can't wait to try them.
    I love the details of your molds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nil, Yes, it is. I think you'll really like this soap. It's long lasting, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love making soap - thanks for the recipe, I will try it when I make my next batch and let you know how much I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hi Angela, I love your enthusiasm. This is one of my best selling soaps. It has such a rich lather.

      Delete
  5. That soap looks lovely! I am so tempted to try making some soap, but I am not sure about using lye! Knowing me, I'd probably end up splashing some on myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bless, I just follow the precautions, and keep my bowl of lye water in the sink. It's kind of like working with hot grease. You need to move slowly and carefully.

      Delete
  6. This seems so easy to make, I really should look into soap making in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Living Simply, It is a nice simple recipe. I love this soap. It's so white and long lasting.

      Delete
  7. you always make beautiful soaps
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Selina. The molds make such a difference.

      Delete
  8. The soaps are beautiful and I love the patterns from the molds. It is good to know that this is the type of soap which works well in hard water since that is what we are blessed with down my way. Aren't you glad to finally see some sunshine again after all the rain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anita. Those heart soaps are very popular. Yes, I am loving this weather. The sky is so blue, and it's lovely out on the porch. Hope you are enjoying it, too.

      Delete