Sunday, March 17, 2019

Fixing Shadow Wrap Short Rows



This afternoon I fixed the shadow wrap short rows on my Stockholm Sweater. I redid the right side. I will work on the left side tomorrow, It also needs to be redone. The first couple of rows have some puffy stitches. I think I was slipping them over to the opposite needle incorrectly. It could also have been that I was binding off too loosely, too. I'm not sure.



I had been avoiding ripping this back and fixing it. I found a video on Youtube that demonstrated the shadow wrap technique, and watched it several times. It isn't hard, but it's just very different than what I'm used to doing. I've done a wrap and turn short row in the past. I love the effect of this one, though. When done properly, the line is invisible. It kind of reminds me of how kitchener stitch looks on the toe of a sock.

Once I'm finished fixing the rest of the short rows, it will be smooth sailing. Most of the remainder of this sweater is in stockinette, and the decreases are the standard SSK and K2tog.  The bottom is ribbed. I may learn an Italian bind off to stretch my skills.

 I'm so excited to be past that difficult section. Fingering weight yarn held doubled is a challenge. (especially when you are working with four skeins at a time.) How was your weekend?

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.

11 comments:

  1. I'm not sure how you manage to keep those 4 skeins from getting all tangled up! The shadow short rows sound interesting! I've knitted short rows before, but I believe I just turned the item and continued! But, your sweater is going to look lovely once you finish it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've gotten tangled up continually, Bless. I just keep untangling them. That's what I did, too, on a vintage sweater. Mine came out baggy in the shoulders. I think I will redo it. There is actually a technique to the shaping. We wrote the instructions into our patterns. Thanks for the encouragement.

      Delete
  2. It's looking great and the yarn is such a gorgeous colour. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will be worth all the effort once you have finished it. I love the colour of the yarn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks mm. I agree. It would have bothered me, otherwise. Now I know what I'm doing.

      Delete
  4. Well glad you are on smooth sailing now! Looks perfect! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea. Taking the class in Ojai really helped. It's a fun project.

      Delete
  5. I, too, was wondering how you keep four skeins from tangling. That is good news about your mastering the short row technique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't, but I'm getting better as I go. That's the most challenging part of knitting this sweater. I love how the fabric looks and feels, though.

      Delete