Saturday, March 23, 2019

Using Less Gasoline

The rosemary is in bloom


Part of the way I stay on my budget is by filling up my gas tank once a month. I take the bus for any extra trips to the grocery store, pharmacy, or post office. It works out well. I can also walk or ride my bicycle to many  places.  Location is key.  Yesterday I walked Lula to the shop where we buy seeds and pet food.


I opened a new savings account on Thursday. My credit union closed their local branch,  so I have to drive thirteen miles to do business with them. I take advantage of online banking and the mobile deposit app to save on transportation costs. Citibank one is just three minutes from my house, and they have branches all over America.

While I was there, the woman helping me asked for my social security card. I had to go home to get it. I had taken the bus to save money, but I decided to drive back with Lula. I was a little worried about leaving her in the car. I thought it would just take a few minutes, but the woman helping me  had to retype in all of my information. I told her not to worry, but that I might need to go check on my dog. "Oh, we allow dogs," she replied.  I was so shocked. "In a bank?" I asked. "Yes, as long as they're friendly. We have dog treats," she added.  She was so sweet.

Well, now I really love my new bank. Lula was thrilled to join me inside, and she was given four delicious treats by two different employees. It reminded me of when I lived in Europe. People took their dogs everywhere.  You would see them in the shops, hotels, and restaurants, and they were all very well behaved.   

I have almost used my tank of gas for this month. There is still enough left to last me until my next refill. March included a lovely day trip to Ojai, and another one to Disneyland. It just took being mindful.  How much do you spend on gas per month?

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.

12 comments:

  1. Oh I love that...the bank allows dogs! And Lula is the most well-behaved sweet dog! Beautiful rosemary! I've never seen blossoms...I think mine freezes here before that can happen! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea, Probably so. Our winters in Southern California are very mild. Lula gets a little bit overly excited around people, but we are working on it. She will do anything for treats.

      Delete
  2. How nice to have the bank so close to your house and to find out that it is a dog-friendly place, too! With all those treats coming her way, the bank is going to be one of Lula's favorite places to visit! LOL.

    You are right about location! When my parents and I first moved to California, our apartment was a block away from a major intersection, on a bus route going both north-south and east-west, with the bank across the street in one corner, the grocery store and a pharmacy across the street, and the library a block away. The office I worked in was several blocks away, but, I could walk there and back (and did). Later, when I took a job in downtown, I would take the bus to work and back. I was without a car for almost a year, and it was just fine. However, eventually, the bank closed that branch and the grocery store closed, too. When I bought my house and moved, there were two grocery stores within a few blocks of me; I could walk to them and, often did. But, they closed, and now, if I take the bus to the grocery store, I'd need to take two buses. These days, I prefer to drive. :) Now that I don't have to go downtown, every day, I budget $50 per month for gas, but I often spend around $30. The last time I put gas was on March 5 and I spent $28. I do, however, fill up when the tank is around half full. In fact, it is almost at that point, now, and I am debating if I should fill it up tomorrow, before I have to go downtown for another doctor's appointment on Monday, or wait until after the appointment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bless, I prefer to keep my gasoline above half a tank, too. Maybe I should fill it tomorrow and not use the car until April. That's interesting to hear how you took the bus to and from work, and walked to the store. I have three grocery stores within a few miles of my cottage. The prices at Valley Produce are much better, though, so I usually drive there. Sometimes I take the bus, and ride the rest of the way on my bicycle with my bike trailer. It's fun.

      Delete
  3. I no longer have a car as the local train is just a few minutes walk away and takes me into town in twelve minutes. It's cheaper to use the train than it would be to park a car. Hubby and I do the food shop together on a weekend but other than shopping and the occasional trip out his car pretty much is used for getting back and forward to work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie, How wonderful that you live so close to the train station! That sounds like a very wise set up that you have with your hubby.

      Delete
  4. Wish more businesses were excepting of dogs.
    Since we retired, we rarely use the car other then Dr appt's and grocery shopping. We fill the tank in our little Toyota RAV about every month and a half. We also take advantage of "senior discounts" (55yrs & older), offered from different businesses helps, too. We try to pinch our pennies until they squeals. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lacy, Thanks for commenting. Wow! I'm impressed with how little gas you use. I will be 55 next year, and like you, plan to ask for the senior discounts. They are already being offered to me. haha

      Delete
  5. Our petrol bill has significantly decreased this year because I no longer have to drive my son nearly an hour to school and back each day (he has started high school which is less than 10mins away). Fuel is expensive here at the moment but, even so, we've gone from spending between $80-$100 week to less than $40 week. I now work also just a 10min drive from home and hubby drives our old ute to the train station and then catches the train to the city. When I run errands, I try to combine them and do a "loop" to save doubling up on trips. That helps with petrol costs too. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Meg, Working close to home makes a huge difference cue in fuel costs. That savings will really add up over time. I combine my errands, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I budget $25/month for gas. Like Bless, I try to keep the tank at least half full. I live close to work and it helps a lot. My colleagues are amazed how little I spend on gas. :)

    I could use even less gas, but sometimes I take short trips with friends. :)

    It's great that you use public transportation and ride the bike.
    For years I didn't have a car, and used buses and trains. I miss that now. There are buses here, but it would take two buses and more than 40 minutes just to go to work. Or I'd have to walk after taking one bus, and I don't feel safe to walk especially in the evening.

    ReplyDelete
  8. $25.00 a month is excellent, Nil! Living close to work makes such a difference. Yes, I love using public transportation. You are wise not to walk if you don't feel safe. It's now worth it.

    ReplyDelete