Friday, March 29, 2019

Cold Brewed Coffee Experiment



This afternoon I decided to try making cold brewed coffee. I googled it, and wrote down a few recipes. I decided to start with one that would fit easily in my French press coffee pot. It calls for 2/3 cup of coarsely ground coffee, and three cups of water.

That sounded like an awful lot of coffee to me, but I decided to try it. With some of these recipes, you dilute the coffee with water. You can store it in the fridge. In that case, it would work for me, financially. I generally use half as much coffee as this each morning for my three cups of hot coffee made in the French press.

If this is diluted to one part coffee, one part water, it will work for my budget. I like the idea of having my coffee already made in the morning. The older I get, the more foods and beverages I like to make in advance. I buy  French Roast coffee beans at Costco, because they are available in bulk at a competitive price.

The brew is sitting on the counter right now. It will be ready at 6:00 tomorrow morning. I am excited to try it. It's kind of like making sun tea, without the sunshine. People online are raving about the taste, so I'm interested to see how I like it. Many people buy it premade at Trader Joe's. Have you ever tried cold brewed coffee? What did you think?

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them. 

14 comments:

  1. I've never tried this but will certainly be curious to hear what you think. As many things as have changed in my life, I always say, " Just don't mess with my morning coffee." 😂 Hope it's good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lady Locust, It was okay, but I prefer hot coffee with freshly ground beans.

      Delete
  2. I don't think I've ever tried cold brewed coffee.
    Let us know what you think about its taste, Stephanie.
    I also buy coffee from either Costco or Bjs. I put some in a glass jar for daily use, and keep the rest in the freezer. It keeps fresh for very long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, I do that too, Nil. It does stay fresh for a long time.

      Delete
  3. cold coffee or tea is not appealing to me, never liked it, not even in our hot summers, give me a fresh hot brew anytime
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Selina, I prefer the hot brewed method, too. Sometimes I chill what's leftover, and enjoy it cold on a hot afternoon.

      Delete
  4. I have never tried cold brewed coffee, I will be interested to know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi mm, It was fun to make, but I was disappointed in the taste.

      Delete
  5. To be honest I am more a 'Yorkshire Tea' kind of person. It has to be made in a tea pot and brewed for at least five minutes before drinking. Coffee for me is the instant variety and only ever made with milk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I drink my coffee with half and half, Cherie. I like it with sugar, too. You seem like a tea person.

      Delete
  6. I haven't made cold brewed coffee. But it sounds interesting! Let us know how you like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bless, It wasn't what I hoped it would be. Oh well.

      Delete
  7. I am sorry to hear the cold brew coffee was not all you had hoped it would be. I have never tried it, but have heard good things about it. Our old Mr. Coffee machine has a timer so we have fresh, hot coffee each morning when we get up. I drink it black, no sugar, I like it strong, but not too hot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Anita, For some reason, it tasted better to me today. I actually enjoyed it. Maybe the flavors had developed. Those coffee machines with timers are fabulous! I used to house sit at a home in the Palisades that had one.

    ReplyDelete