Friday, March 8, 2019

Disneyland Journal


You can see a little bit of the Haunted Mansion on the left
I am still on a high from my trip to Disneyland on Wednesday. I arrived at 2:00 in the afternoon and stayed until 7:00 p.m. They close at 8:00p.m., so I decided to leave early to avoid traffic. It has been so enjoyable  reading all of your stories and memories. Thank you for posting them in the comments.

Disneyland is having a special for Southern California residents. For $179.00 you can attend the park for three days. There are certain restrictions, and it's only good for the next couple of months. Certain days are blacked out on the calendar. Still, it is tempting. Parking is $25.00, though, so that's something to consider. In my case, I may just go one more time this year, and pay full price.

For my first ride, I started out on the Matterhorn.  It was kind of scary. For some reason, I remember thinking that Disneyland was full of kiddie rides, and that Magic Mountain had the daring and dangerous roller coasters. This time I found a lot of the rides exciting but frightening, especially for kids. I just see everything so differently now. There were so many skeletons and death symbols. Still, the contrast with the happy, joyful music and scenery was uplifting and amusing. I love the artistry and skill of all the people that Walt Disney  hired. I was a bit worried about my replaced hips on this ride. We banged around a lot. It was exciting, but I'm not sure I would ride it again. I don't want to mess up Dr. Matta's fine surgical work.

The signs are all so quaint

I rode the carousel, which I loved. And I found a horse that went up and down. I remember being very disappointed in being on a stationary one as a child, while I watched my brother rise and fall next to me. I was upset, envious, and felt cheated. The next minute I was elated with It's A Small World. The music and dolls filled my heart with joy.  It's funny how many memories come flooding back into your mind when you return to a theme park.

I went on my two favorites: Pirates of the Caribbean and the Haunted Mansion.  They are still both amazing. I was terrified in the dark elevator in the Haunted Mansion.  It felt a bit claustrophobic to me. Since I knew what was coming, I was able to relax and go with the flow. The theatricality and surprise elements were so impressive. It's amazing how many of your senses are engaged.  I just love this place!

While most of us were frolicking from ride to ride,  humming Disney tunes, some were texting.

They let me have dessert at the Blue Bayou restaurant. I had eaten breakfast and lunch before leaving my house, and I decided to eat dinner when I arrived home. (especially when I found out how much the parking cost!) The hostess got permission from the manager to let me just have dessert. I ordered a piece of  vanilla bundt cake, and it was absolutely delicious.  It cost  $9.50, and I left my waitress, Kristen, a two dollar tip. I got to sit at the edge of the water and watch the boast float by from the Pirates of the Caribbean. Many of them were empty! It was such a shock. The entrees at this restaurant  were very expensive. It's a fancy, classy place. I enjoyed the mood lighting and the atmosphere.

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.

8 comments:

  1. It sounds a magical place. I just wish the prices weren't so silly as it stops so many people from being able to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie, It is a magical place. I found it worth the money, but it wasn't crowded. I stay home and save most of the year and then splurge on something like Disneyland once in a while. My neighbor collects cans all year, and when she turns them in, it's enough money to take her family to Disneyland!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you had the perfect afternoon at Disneyland! I remember, one year, when we were in the elevator at the Haunted House, some teenagers screamed in fun, but it scared a little child who began to cry and the mother of the child was so angry at the teens for scaring her child! You are making me want to go again! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bless, I hope that you go. It's such a special place. I was just looking into taking the train there. A round trip ticket from my house is $28.00!

      Delete
  3. Your day out sounds wonderful, I love to hear and see about travels. I know one thing if I have a day out I ignore the phone. Technology is good but most of the time it does my head in. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Living Simply. I love to read about people's travels, too. You really get a personal feel for the place.

      Delete
  4. WOW-your neighbor must collect a lot of cans during the year to pay for a family trip to Disneyland. For many years we would treat ourselves to one lunch at Blue Bayou during our three day Disneyland blowout trip, but eventually the boys decided they would rather have lunch elsewhere. That was fine with me because not only was it so expensive to feed growing boys there, reservations had to be made months in advance. And the menu, while wonderful, rarely changed over the years. Disneyland never disappoints! Does the train work out to be cheaper than driving?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anita, Yes, I bet it was expensive. I had never been there, so for me it was a treat. The train isn't cheaper than driving, but I find it to be less stressful. I like to read and knit on the train.

    ReplyDelete