Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Persistence

cloudy skies in Ojai, California


One of the qualities that I always relied on as a dancer was persistence. My ballet teacher taught us that ballet requires "the three p's": practice, patience, and persistence. That advice always got me through the rough patches. I apply that same principle to my writing. It's important to keep doing the work, and showing up at the page. I just reworked a pitch that I sent to my editor at Dance Magazine. So much of being an artist has to do with being able to take direction. I thought about her suggestions, and came up with a completely different angle. I typed it into an email, and sent it to her office in New York.  After that, I made a batch of chicken stock and Mexican rice, and took Lula for a walk.

Later on, I finished redoing the left shoulder on my sweater.  Tomorrow I will unravel and reknit the right side. It is a relief to finally have it done correctly. I wrote in my notes where and why I went wrong, in case I decide to make this sweater again. It really is lovely.

I sent out several messages to producers and stage managers yesterday, letting them know that I need one hour of work to qualify for my pension. I hope that something develops, but I've decided not to stress over it. Money can come in many different ways. I received some very kind and helpful responses. Apparently, there are many people in the exact same situation.

I also left a message for Suze Orman. I thought it would be interesting to hear her take on artists and dancers, and their retirements. I regularly listen to her podcast at suzeorman.com. It is fascinating to hear about other woman and their finances.I always learn so much from her.  How are things with you?  

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.

14 comments:

  1. Good luck with all of those enquiries. I hope it comes out the way you want.
    You are right, persistence is an important quality for an artist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks earthmotherwithin. Sometimes we give up just before a breakthrough.

      Delete
  2. Persistence is a very good thing, in my opinion, although, apparently, some people do not consider it to be such a desirable trait! :)

    I do hope you are able to get that one hour of work experience to qualify for your pension! It is good that you have decided not to stress about it, but it has to be frustrating to be so close and yet, still not qualify by just one hour!

    I am doing OK. It was a sunny, warm day, here, today. I did some vacuuming, chatted with people on the phone, and relaxed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bless, Yes, the weather has been beautiful. Glad to hear that you are relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life is good down my way. Steve and I have turned over all the soil in the summer gardens and are getting ready to plant our crops as soon as the sun gets far enough south to give afternoon sun. Yesterday we treated ourselves to a day at Balboa Park and lunch at Albert's Restaurant in the San Diego Zoo. Today we are planning a trip to the nursery so I can finish replanting the flower pots in the back. Knitting on the back patio this afternoon will round out the day. Good luck with getting the work you need for the pension. I am sure it will work out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Anita. I plan to do some planting in April, too. Enjoy your knitting. I bet the back patio is beautiful.

      Delete
  5. I hope that extra hour comes your way. It would be a real shame to miss out for the sake of one hour

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie, Thank you. It turns out that the pension wasn't worth it. I will write about it in my next post.

      Delete
  6. Hope you manage to get the hour's work you need for your pension. Persistence is a great strength. Soap making was high on the agenda, now I am back to sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi mamasmercantile, I saw your gorgeous soap. Wow! Enjoy your sewing.

      Delete
  7. Persistence is a great quality to have. I learned to be persistent especially when I was a research scientist. I couldn't simply give up when an experiment failed,so I had to persist. :)

    I look forward to reading your next post. I enjoy reading about financial matters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, Yes, it is. I enjoy reading about personal finances. I find it fascinating to hear how people live their lives, and spend their money. Thanks Nil.

      Delete
  8. Very good topic for Suze Orman. I will look forward to seeing your next Dance magazine article. I guess persistence works towards perfection! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea. I always look forward to listening to Suze's podcasts. I look forward to writing my next Dance Magazine article, whatever it will be.

      Delete