Monday, May 6, 2019

Knitting Gloves



Fingerless gloves are a very popular project with knitters.  I am knitting a pair of soft  gloves with fingers, out of recycled cashmere yarn. I bought this skein on clearance. I used a gift card that my youngest brother gave me for Christmas a couple of years ago.  It's lovely. I know that my neutral, simple knits are the ones that get the most use. 

Gloves are not that difficult to make. You need good eyesight, and working in the natural sunlight helps. I made my first pair about six years ago, using some colorful leftover sock yarn.  The pattern consists mostly of stockinette stitch, and is done on double pointed needles. There is a lot of counting, and you slip a certain number of stitches onto  scrap yarn to put on hold for each finger.

I'm using a simple pattern from Ravelry. It's called Dancing At Lughnasa Gloves, by Anne Carroll Gilmour.  These shouldn't take too long. The pattern moves very quickly. They're nice and portable, too.  If you can knit socks, you can probably make gloves. I wear the other pair that I knit every single day in the winter. They make practical gifts, too.

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.

7 comments:

  1. I have not knit gloves; I'm sure your cashmere gloves will be nice and warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. Yes, I love the softness and warmth of cashmere. It will be nice to have a second pair of gloves.

      Delete
  2. Cashmere is so luxurious, but it wears so well. I bet you will get years of use out of these gloves. What size needles are you using?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, I agree. I'm knitting these on US size 2 needles. I think the sock yarn is better, because it has nylon, which gives them a tightness that I like. Still, these will be something special to have. If I do them again in this yarn, I would go down a needle size.

      Delete
  3. this is so exciting! will be watching with interest...most inspiring xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sue. They are pretty easy. I think the next pair will be on self patterning sock yarn. Loved seeing your latest knitting projects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. those look like they will be very warm!
    i haven't tackled fingers yet, my son would like some fingerless gloves rather than the usual fingerless mittens i make... one day i will get around to making some
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete