Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Norwegian Epic: Barcelona to Rome/Day Three/ Solo Travel



The third day was the most exciting, because we arrived in Naples, or Napoli. I took the elevator to the top deck early in the morning, and watched the sun rise. It was glorious! I met two men who were traveling together. We had a fun conversation and lots of laughs. They were a couple. One was from Australia, the other was from Los Angeles. We compared notes on Norwegian Air. I had an excellent experience with them, and the price was superb.  They are one of the only airlines that fly non stop from LAX to Barcelona.

I got off of the ship early and walked to the ticket counter for the Hydrofoil. I met a nice couple from England who were waiting for the same boat. We chatted for a while, and sat  together. They had been staying in Napoli, and had rented a car. She thought I was "very brave" to be traveling on my own.  I thought they were daring to be driving in Italy. We had an enjoyable time together; they felt like old friends to me.


The island of Capri was magical. I really fell in love with that place. I took so many photos. Most of the ones you see on the past few blog posts are from Capri. It is so charming and spiritual. Everything there looks like art. I walked through the narrow streets, and took some of the steep staircases that are tucked in among the homes.  It was fun to peek into the gardens.

I stopped at a market and bought some loquats. I was interested in experiencing a grocery store that the locals use in Italy. Everyone was so helpful. I felt right at home.


I came back early, and had lunch on the ship. Next time, I will stay all day, and explore Anacapri. I'd like to have lunch in one of the restaurants. I did walk down to the beach, and put my feet in the water. There was a sweet little long haired dachshund there with a young man. The little dog seemed like he had been abused, but he liked me. I had one as a child named Noodles. There were a few other people relaxing on the sand, as well. It was peaceful and quiet. I stopped at a cafe and had a ham and cheese sandwich. The owner served it to me with pride. "Ham and cheese," he announced. "Classic!" he added. I thanked him warmly. The view of the sea was spectacular. The water just sparkles.

I was a little nervous about getting back to port in plenty of time. I had read horror stories of people arriving back from tours too late, due to traffic. You don't want to miss the ship.  I overcompensated, but enjoyed lunch on the ship when I returned. I like to eat my meals there, since I have already paid for them. I also went back to the spa. I wanted to get full use of my membership, since I had spent money on that, too.


I decided not to go to the Solo Lounge that evening, and just went down to Taste for dinner. I chatted with my waitress, and the couple seated next to me. The fruit tart that I had for dessert was excellent. The lady to my right had tiramisu, and she raved about it.

I had made reservations to see Priscilla, Queen of the Desert that night. The show started at 7:00 p.m. Once again, I was so impressed with the talent and technical level of that production. The leads were especially good. It was a very enjoyable evening. NCL really shines in the entertainment department. It's their specialty.

I went home and packed my bag. The cruise line provides porters who will pick your luggage up at your door and have it near the bus for you when you disembark. I knew that this would be a relief. Lugging my bags around on my arrival  had been a mistake.  I wished that I had brought my Burley Travoy luggage cart/bike trailer, or had invested in a carry on with rollers.

Once again, I couldn't sleep, due to jet lag. I had gotten used to it, though. I said some prayers of thanks. The trip had been a huge success. I had done and seen everything that I had planned. It was exciting and rewarding to reflect on the memories and experiences.  What a wonderful journey!

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them. 

18 comments:

  1. Your trip sounds like quite the adventure. I'd love to visit Italy one day. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a special place, Jules. I hope you get to experience it.

      Delete
  2. It certainly sounds like it was a wonderful cruise! A wonderful trip! I think you have a knack for making friends! Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us. Lula must have been happy when you got back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bless, it was. Travelers are usually excited to talk about their trip. They love to share hints and tips. You have an instant connection with a lot of people.

      Delete
  3. Amazing sights! You are so fortunate to be able to travel! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea. I plan way in advance, and find the deep discounts. Researching really helps.

      Delete
  4. It sounds like you had a wonderful day on Capri! I recognized the scenery on the other posts. I did go up to Anacapri when I was there and it was well worth the trip. We rode up the mountain on a modified open air ski lift which was exciting. You had a bird's eye view of the gardens of the locals as you ride up to "touch the hand of God" as the local say about Anacapri. I hope to read that your travel back home was carefree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anita, I have read about that lift. I'd like to try it next time, and swim in the Blue Grotto. Maybe in 2021...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a special trip this has been for you. I admire you travelling alone but thankfully everyone seems so friendly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi mm, Yes, I met so many kind and helpful people. There were a few negative responses, but that can happen anywhere. It was a thrilling adventure.

      Delete
  7. How delightful, all!!!!! -happy sigh-

    Yes, I agree with the lady who thought you were brave, to travel alone. But also, you are traveled, and carry yourself with confidence. I imagine that makes a lot-lot-lot of difference. :-)

    Btw, those pictures of Santorini were not taken by my granddaughter. At the end of the post, I stated that the pics, were from the Net. But I should say that, right in my post itself. She and her friends sent pics, but not of the professional quality, of those I posted.

    Capri is such a magical sounding destination! Spots like the winding stairway, look so delightful to me. Real... Out of the way.... Not the usual tourist haunts, as it were. Kind of "secret"... Oh yes!!!!

    Our oldest grand daughter has been traveling, this past year. Her BF has been working in the UK. Same company he works for here, one of their facilities over there. (Making extra money, to pay off student loans)

    Anyway, she has been meeting him, in different European places, and has been using Norwegian Airlines too, I think I remember. Young, and taking the Red Eye flights! Oh my! :-) It has been a wonderful opportunity for them to travel, while still young and carefree. :-)))

    So I have been watching a lot of Flight Aware net spot, watching the "little plane" take off and fly and land. And watching the MPH and altitude and etc. Funnnnnn for Nana!!!!!

    ✨✨✨✨

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're right about Capri. I really felt like a local villager in my walk. There were so many lovely twists and turns on that narrow street.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful trip! Thanks for sharing it with us Stephenie.

    Once when I was in Nice I crossed the border to Italy and had lunch at a small Italian restaurant. The lunch took over 2 hours and every dish was absolutely delicious. Your photos reminded me of that day.

    I recently learned that Norwegian Air had started direct flights from my city to certain European countries. I was planing to look into that. It is nice to know you had a wonderful experience with them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Nil, Oh, yes, the Italians are experts when it comes to food. I love their coffee, too. The deal that I got with Norwegian Air was excellent. I also had travel insurance, just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like all your research and planning paid off handsomely!
    These mini-cruises sound like the perfect Stephenie Adventures!

    Everyone needs a bit of specialness and pampering now and again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Jill, Yes, it made a huge difference. It was helpful to pay for things in advance, too. That way you aren't carrying cash. I had forgotten how exciting it is to travel.

      Delete
  12. What a great little trip, Stephenie! I haven't been on a cruise but have been to Capri. Like you, just a couple of daytrips about 20 years apart. It hardly changed a jot in the intervening years! It sounds like you made some nice and companionable connections while you were gone. Travelling alone is sometimes easier for this. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was, Pipistrello. Capri was the highlight of my trip. I just love looking at the photos. There was beauty everywhere. I'm glad you have been able to enjoy it, as well. What a treasure.

      Delete