Saturday, May 18, 2019

The Norwegian Epic:Barcelona to Rome/Day One/ Solo Travel


I booked a hotel room for the first night in Barcelona, just to be safe. You never know if your flight may be delayed, and I didn't want to risk missing the ship. I slept in until 10:00 a..m., (which is very unusual for me.  I am normally a very early riser.)  I got up, showered, put on my make-up, and headed downstairs for breakfast. The waiter was a handsome man from a mountainous region of Spain. He was very thoughtful and sweet.  He offered to refill my water bottle for me. They had a beautiful stone cistern that looked like it was an antique. I had packed a stainless steel water bottle for the trip. It came in so handy, especially on the airplane. That way I didn't need to worry about buying water on the ship, or using plastic.

I took a taxi  to the port at around 11:00 a.m. It was only fifteen Euros. There was a long line to check in, which I expected. The ship holds 4,100 passengers. We all waited patiently. I had lunch at O'Sheehans,  ordering a salad and chicken fajitas. It was very good, and I enjoyed the atmosphere. After finding my cabin and unpacking, I went to the pool and jacuzzi. I met a man from England there, and chatted with him for a while. We went on the water slide, which I found  slightly terrifying. I was concerned about my replaced hips, but pushed through the fear. Relieved that I didn't dislocate anything, I took the elevator up to the 14th floor to check out the  spa. I had purchased a pass online for the duration on the cruise. By getting it in advance, I received a 20% discount.


The spa was fabulous. I took a sauna, and relaxed in the whirlpools. The view was amazing! The water is so glorious. I met a nice woman in the dressing room who gave me instructions on how to get to Capri from Naples.  She was traveling on her own, as well.

At 5:00 I went down the the Solo Lounge and met with the other solo travelers. We were all excited about being on the cruise, and it was fun to have a social group, if you wanted to make plans to eat together, or to have a drink in their bar. I ordered  a Lavazza cappuccino.  We even had our own bartender.


At 7:00 p.m. I attended the Cirque show. It included dinner, and was reasonably priced. I had booked it months in advance. The dinner was a perfectly seasoned, tender filet mignon. It was heavenly. The dessert was divine. It was a trio of samples. My favorite was the red velvet cake.  I sat comfortably with two couples in a booth. They were really friendly and fun. One was two men, the other was a man and a woman. I was between them. It was interesting to hear about their careers. One was in hotel management, the other was a judge in Los Angeles. The show was fantastic! I gave them a standing ovation feeling awe over their muscular bodies and strength. 


From there I went back to my room, brushed my teeth, and took off my makeup.  I changed into my red Lanz flannel nightgown, and flopped into bed. It had been an exciting and fulfilling day.  By then the waves were 60 feet high, so the ship was really rocking. Fortunately, I didn't get seasick.  I am still feeling the sensation of being on a boat, even though I have been on land since Wednesday.

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.   

14 comments:

  1. I really enjoy reading about your trip, Stephenie. I’ve never been on a cruise. One day I should. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nil, Thanks. I love reading your blog, too. Yes, one day you should. It's a wonderful way to travel. I felt very safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, am enjoying reading about it. Sounds like you really enjoyed it. I would have been seasick all the way! LOL. I get motion sickness, all the time, unless I am driving or going by train. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to, too, Bless. My first cruise, at seventeen, was a disaster. We were in three hurricanes, though. I find doing yoga and getting caught up on sleep helps. I'm glad you are enjoying the posts.

      Delete
  4. It all sounds and looks amazing, Stephenie. I think the beauty of travelling alone is that you spend more time in the company of others, rather than just your travelling companions. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jules. I really enjoyed interacting with the other passengers. They were very motivated, enthusiastic, and successful people.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a wonderful experience, idyllic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, mm. I love cruising, especially at this age.

      Delete
  6. You have such a nice way of writing Stephenie, I almost feel as though I am there with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cherie. That is encouraging to hear.

      Delete
  7. I feel I am on your shoulder enjoying the adventure with you. People are always so friendly on cruises. I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anita. That's true. Everyone is enjoying themselves, and we all love to travel.

      Delete
  8. Your trip sounds absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly was, Mereknits. And it was only a three day cruise!

      Delete