Sunday, May 19, 2019

Norwegian Epic: Barcelona to Rome/Day Two/ Solo Travel



The first two nights on the ship I didn't sleep very well. Although the bed was ultra comfortable, and the room was perfectly quiet, I was wired. My body felt jet lagged, and I seemed to get tired during the day. I was charged with energy at night. I just went with it.  Normally I sleep very well, but now I was dealing with a huge time change, having traveled from Los Angeles to Spain.  My body clock was way out of whack.

Sunday night I decided give up on sleeping and to call for a pizza at 2:00 a.m. They have 24 hour room service on the ship. When in doubt on a cruise, you usually eat. I got up, and enjoyed yet another meal. NCL had left  a complimentary bottle of sparking fruit wine on my bed as a gift, so I had a glass of that, too. (even though I normally don't drink.) It did the trick, and I gratefully fell asleep.

The second night I decided to just get up and take a walk around the ship. It was midnight, and people were still out partying. There was a movie with Judy Dench playing on the big screen in the Atrium. I ordered a fruit salad with banana bread at O'Sheehans, and then hoped to watch the rest of the movie. By the time I got down there, the credits were rolling. Next time...

Day two was a sea day. After having breakfast in the Garden Cafe, and eating outside on the deck, I decided to explore the gym. It was fantastic! I loved the view of the water. I used the stationary bike, the weight machines, and the yoga studio. I kind of overdid it. My shoulders were so sore the next day that I could hardly lift my purse. I was a bit concerned about carrying my bags. I've got to remember that I'm 54. Sometimes I still really push it, physically.


Once again, I had lunch at O'Sheehans. This time I ordered a salad and shepherd's pie. It was very good. I didn't go to any  of the specialty restaurants this cruise. My plan was to try the free places and pay for one pizza delivery. I had budgeted for a trip to Capri, and a pass at the spa. Next time instead of the spa I will try Cagney's Steakhouse and a couple of the other places. On my upcoming cruise I will receive a coupon for two complimentary dinners at the specialty restaurants. It's kind of like a rewards program. I am looking forward to it. I ate in a couple of them on The Norwegian Bliss last May, and the food was excellent!     


I headed back to the spa and soaked my sore body in the whirlpools.  They have a lovely station with citrus water, tea, and fresh fruit. Having a cup of hot tea really helped to warm me up, since I felt a  bit cold. I relaxed on the lounge chairs that are made of heated stones. They provide very cushy, white, plush bathrobes, too. I used the same one for the three days I was there. I did the same with the towels. You are given two blue beach towels, I believe. After that you are charged. I kept my bath towels and beach towel hung up, so that no water was wasted on laundry. Everything was very clean and new. If you leave a towel on the floor of your room, your cabin steward will replace it with a fresh one.

That evening, after socializing briefly in the Solo Lounge, I had dinner again at Taste. I enjoyed the view out the window of the sea. This time I ordered the chicken, sweet potatoes, and marinated vegetables. It was a nice meal. I loved the desserts. I sampled several at the different complimentary places on the ship. It's exciting to eat new foods and to get out of your regular routine of cooking.


I had a reservation to see Burn The Floor at 7:00 p.m. I was unprepared for what a phenomenal show this is. The ballroom dancers were incredible! I was thrilled, and had chills over and over again. It's a wonderful show on so many levels. The music, costumes, choreography, hair, make-up, and tech are all top notch. I could watch that show every night. The women, especially, were alluring and passionate. It's my kind of dancing.


I went back to my room and tried to go to bed at 10:00 p.m. Once again, I couldn't sleep. I had another glass of my complimentary sparkling wine, even though I normally don't drink. I was pretty wired from the show. The energy on a cruise ship is very "go go go!" I could feel it. You could stay up all night, and there is always somewhere to go or something to do. I wanted to sleep, though, since I was looking forward to arriving in Naples the next morning.

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.

12 comments:

  1. I am enjoying reading your account of your cruise. I haven't been on a cruise since I was a small child and I don't really remember much of that. My half sister goes on several cruises every year, but she doesn't describe them in such detail to me. I feel like I'm on that cruise with you, the way you describe it. :) I suppose it would be hard to go to sleep with the time difference and everything, but how wonderful that you were able to order a meal and enjoy a glass of wine when you couldn't fall asleep and that seems to have helped. I'm looking forward to reading the next installment of your cruise. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the idea, Bless. I'm so glad you feel that way. It did help to just go with the flow, and not stress over the jet lag.

      Delete
  2. travelling along with you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so nice to see your narrative and photos of your trip! I've never been on a cruise and it is interesting for me to see what it is like. I can't sleep well when traveling and in a bed that isn't my own. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea, The bed and pillows were extremely comfortable. I was just too charged up to sleep. When I did fall asleep, it was very deep and healing.

      Delete
  4. It all sounds amazing, what a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The ship seemed to full of wonderful things to do and experience. Looking forward to reading about Naples and Capri. I have been to Capri just once and it was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's true, Anita. Capri was a jewel. It was the highlight of my trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such an exciting adventure!!!!!

    You must have had a delightful time!!!

    One of our grand daughters, who is doing her spring college semester at Groningen U., Holland.... has been taking advantage of the opportunity, to visit in Europe. This weekend, she and her friends, were in Santorini. -Oh my- :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi wisps, Yes, it was marvelous. Santorini! How fantastic! Spending time in Europe is so wonderful...

    ReplyDelete