Friday, May 31, 2019

New Shops in Newhall

Kathleen, the owner of this shop, used to take my Pre-Natal class eighteen years ago!

Today I drove back to Newhall to pick up my new glasses, repaired picture frame, and to buy a pair of slippers that I had seen. I wanted to sleep on it before spending the money. I decided to go ahead and buy them. Since they are well made, I think they will last much longer than the less expensive slippers that I usually buy for the hot weather.  I also enjoy supporting local small businesses.


The Birkenstock sandals that I got on sale several months ago have become my favorite pair of shoes. They are incredibly comfortable and so well made. I am told that they'll last forever. They were perfect to wear on the cruise and in Europe. I walked everywhere, and my feet never hurt. I love the new styles. They don't have that granola woman look, like the old ones do. They really form to your feet.

Earth Baby

This cute little store for babies had hand knit booties selling for $28.00.  She has so many sweet things.


I settled on a pair of slippers from London by Pretty You. I bought them at Maison on Main, Kathleen's shop.  I  love the detail and the pink.  For the cold weather, I knit my own slippers.

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them. 

19 comments:

  1. Your slippers are very pretty and feminine. I love the color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nil. I love them. They are made of cork, so I think they will last.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi mm, Yes, it was. The whole block has really come alive.

      Delete
  3. Such fun! Neat stores. I enjoyed seeing them. Nice shoes and slippers also. I tried Birkenstocks many years ago and I seem to not be able to wear them. I think I'm partially flat-footed. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too bad, Andrea. It took me quite a while to break mine in, but now they are heaven to wear. At first, they felt miserable.

      Delete
    2. I had the same experience with Dockers once...hard to break in but wonderful shoes afterwards. Right now I do best with flip flops, or Ugg boots...I am going to try some cheaper sneakers next, as my expensive ones with lots of support hurt my feet! Andrea

      Delete
  4. Newhall has become a very charming place! I love your slippers-they are so cute and look very comfy. I always wear slippers in the house. Years ago a carpet installer told me that bare feet are the worst thing for carpet-feet are oily and the oil attracts dirt. I also like your toenail polish! What color is it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always wonderful, to support local businesses. !!!!!!!!!

    Gentle hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It has, Anita. The nail polish is Sally Hansen Hard As Nails Extreme, in Mauve Over. #189.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your new slippers are cute! I love Birkenstocks, as well. If you ever need to have yours resoled or new footbeds, try Birkenstock Express. Mail order, not cheap, but if you love the uppers and they no longer are available, it can be a good option. I wore the tread off three pairs of Birks when my bipedal locomotion was reduced to shuffling for the better part of two years. I absolutely loved (and still do!) one pair (ca. 1985), as they look good with skirts as well as pants. Replaced the footbeds on all three pairs, as my weight distribution and odd gait made the originals uncomfortable as I regained the ability to walk.

    Back in the day, our next door neighbors moved to the Saugus-Newhall area. Just a few small subdivisions interspersed into a relatively rural landscape of ranches, groves and small farms. Nice homes, a lot of knotty pine (ca. 1957-1958). I was too young to remember much, other than it felt as though it took forever to drive there! I think I5 was being extended at the time, which made development on the edge of feasible.

    The landscape has changed. Just a bit! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to know, Taja. I'm glad you are walking again. They have now connected Hwy. 126 to I5. It's fabulous!

      Delete
  8. Those are very cute slippers! I like the color. Those shops look like fun places in which to browse. My first thought when I saw them, though, is whether you might be able to sell some of your soaps and baby items through them. Is that something you might consider?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bless, If they were interested, sure. There is also a soap shop a couple doors down from where I was. She has lovely soaps.

      Delete
  9. Fun new slippers. I have several pairs of Birkenstock's and still love to wear them. New shops are so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those new slippers are so cute and elegant! And your shoes look very comfy.

    I love the photos of the new shops, they look really lovely. $28 for a pair of booties? Wow! I do like the idea of hand made though.

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tania, Thank you. They are very comfortable. Yes. I was actually pleased to see that they were charging for the time it takes to knit clothing. Babies grow very quickly, though.

      Delete
  11. Thanks Mereknits. I love mine, too. They really do form to your feet.

    ReplyDelete