Thursday, May 23, 2019

Norwegian Epic: Barcelona to Rome/Disembartion Day/ Solo Travel



The fourth day of my cruise was disembarkation day. I woke up really early and made coffee. The balcony rooms on NCL come with coffeemakers.  My backpack had been collected the night before, so all I had to do was organize my carry on bag. Once again, I enjoyed my coffee with cream and sugar out on the balcony. It was perfectly quiet and peaceful.  I was  glad that I had packed wool socks, cashmere leggings, and an alpaca turtleneck. My soft, cozy knits came in handy for the early morning hours, and for wearing on the plane.  I also put on my tennis shoes. I knew that they would be comfortable for the long travel day. You do a lot of walking in airports.  I had debated whether or not to bring them, but I needed  them at the gym, as well. I packed my sandals and a pair of black tango shoes. (which I wore at night to see the shows.)  

I went down to O'Sheehans and had breakfast. There were some other early risers there, as well. It was still dark outside. We were now docked in Rome, but I wouldn't be seeing it this time. I worked there when I was 26, and toured with the European Tour of "42nd Street". It is one of my favorite cities.  We performed at Teatra Sistina. (near the Sistine Chapel.)


I got in line early, with several other passengers. We disembarked very quickly. Right away I found my bus parked right in front of the pier. There were uniformed agents there to help us and to answer our questions. My name was on the list of passengers headed to the airport. I had arranged my transportation through NCL for my flight home, and to ride their airport bus.  It was a relief to have it all organized, and to not have to spend money on a taxi, or worry about pickpockets. It's quite a ways to the airport. The drive takes about an hour and a half.

I found my backpack in the red group after the luggage was delivered. Everything was so well organized. The bus driver offered to put it in the trunk for me. He was very kind, and really took pride in his work. I love that about the Italians that I met. It was a very comfortable bus, and  was only about half full.

When we arrived at our terminal, the NCL agent provided  luggage carts for us. I was so appreciative. They normally cost $5.00. I always use them; it really makes a difference when you have an older dancer's body and two replaced hips.

I sat next to a young man and his wife from Alabama. She had her headphones on, but he and I had an animated conversation about Capri, Sorrento, and the love of travel. He was so enthusiastic! His photographs were gorgeous. He sells them. He is in the business of wine, and was excited about a bottle  that he had purchased  for a third of what it would have cost him at home. I really enjoyed conversing with him.  He told me that he is determined to do a lot more traveling. So am I. It really expands your mental horizons.


On my connecting flight, I sat next to a  man who was on his way to join the Marines. He offered me one of his headphones, and also some of the snack he had brought on board with him. I thought that was so cute. I politely declined; I had packed my own headphones and snack. We talked about diet, discipline, and his future plans. He was a very sweet man. I watched some television and a movie, and that was one of my favorite parts of the trip. Since I don't have t.v. at home, it was exciting and entertaining. The film was about Mary Queen of Scotts.  The actors were fantastic.

I was so impressed with the flight crew on Delta. The women were so pretty, upbeat, patient, and mature. I like that their company hires ladies over forty. They seemed so happy in their work. One of them said to me, "You are always smiling, you should be a flight attendant." After observing them, I had actually been thinking about applying.  I don't think I could handle the fourteen hour days with my replaced hips, though.  Plus, at my age the jet lag knocks me out like a zombie. I really connected with the vibe of our international crew. The food was excellent, too. They even served us Starbucks coffee!  Delta definitely felt like a  luxurious airline to me. It was more comfortable, and had more leg room.

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them. 

6 comments:

  1. What a wonderful trip you've had and the return journey home sounds like it was a perfect ending to your trip. I'm glad you were able to have everything so nicely organized for you. Sometimes, the return journey is harder because one is already a bit tired from the vacation part of it. Thank you, again, for sharing your journey with us and enabling us to be armchair travelers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, Bless. It went very smoothly; I was so pleased. Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like an amazing break away, you are certainly one brave woman travelling solo. You are an inspiration and make travelling sound so easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, mm. I am feeling more confident and adventurous after this trip. I traveled all over Europe when I was in my twenties. I think it helps to plan in advance, and do your research.

      Delete
  3. What a relief to have the entire trip home come off without a hitch. I bet Lula was so happy to see you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, Thanks. Yes, it was. Lula and I had a long snuggle when I got home.

      Delete