Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Bicycling to the Grocery Store

tile bench at Union Station


Today I hooked up my Burley Travoy bike trailer to my pale green beach cruiser, and rode to the corner bus stop. After heaving my bike on to the front bike rack and paying my fare,  I took a seat by the window. It was relaxing to be driven and I enjoyed the mountain view and a few chapters of my library book. I got off after about  five miles  and biked down the bike path to the Armenian market to buy my produce. On the way, the right wide pant leg of my flowered jumpsuit got stuck in the chain of my bike. I wasn't sure what to do. It was completely jammed, and I couldn't pull it free.

Theater in Newhall

Right then a petite blonde woman pulled up on a bike and  helped me. I lifted the bicycle while she back pedaled it and removed the loose material. It was hard to do because I have foot brakes. She was so sweet and cheerful. She was wearing spandex biking gear, tennis shoes,  and a helmet. I was in my hippie clothes, bike helmet, and Birkenstock sandals. I love meeting other bike riders. They always seem so fit and happy. "Be safe," she called out, as she rode on her way. I breathed a sigh of relief and said a prayer of thanks. She was like an angel, appearing out of nowhere.

I noticed that the city of Santa Clarita now has a community station at Newhall Ranch Rd. and Bouquet Canyon for bike repair. There is a large pump, and a tool kit for fixing a flat tire. I was very impressed. This city is so bike friendly!  Next time I'm down there I will add some air to my tires. I always forget to do that, and then they get low.  I have a pump at home, but I haven't figured out how to use it. The public pump is like the ones that they have at the gas stations. You can also get a reading for how much air you have in your tires.  I'm excited to use it.   

Newhall restaurant

I shopped at two different stores, and bought what was on sale. Sea salt caramel gelato was on special, two for the price of one! On my way home, I ran into a lady I've been taking the bus with for years. We had an animated conversation and laughed heartily.  I love the social aspect of biking and taking public transportation. I stopped and visited with a few different neighbors on my walk with Lula this evening. They were all outside, enjoying our gorgeous summer weather.  How are you doing? 

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links or advice will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.    

12 comments:

  1. I’m glad you weren’t hurt Stephenie. Once one of my sisters caught her foot in a bicycle and hurt herself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, I ca see how that could happen. It was jammed very tightly.

      Delete
  2. Oh my, perhaps you should "tie up" your loose pants... ,-)

    It sounds like a lovely area, with people actually getting outside and walking and visiting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, wisps. Yes, we have a lot of dog walkers who all know each other.

      Delete
  3. Your hippy clothes! That made me laugh. It was a miracle your fellow biker showed up just in time to help though! Hopefully your gelato did not melt too much on the trip home. Thanks for a glimpse into what sounds like a perfect day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, She was wonderful. I always enjoy chatting with cyclists.

      Delete
  4. I am thoroughly enjoying your cycling and public transportation adventures. :-) Those club-style chairs at Union Station look much more comfortable than the old benches! Do they still use the RR tracks that run through the center of the street to relocate locomotives? That completely freaked me out the first time I had to drive there! It was a new experience for my three-month old driver's license and me! 8-o lol

    Regarding your bicycle chain and wide-legged pants, have you considered bicycle clips? They used to be made of aluminum--probably plastic these days--and slip over your pants leg at or near the ankle to protect the rider, cyclist and bicycle. Sort of oval/horseshoe shape with an opening/gap on a narrow end. Slides over the pant leg on the inside of the ankle with the opening facing away from the bicycle. A firm scrunchy could work, as well. Might be worth trying!

    We've had bicycle sharing for about three years in various parts of the Valley of the Sun. Unfortunately, many riders have been incredibly rude with the bicycles when they finish their rides. It was a bit of a shock to see three of them hanging from a tree on my morning commute one day! Of course, it might not have been the riders doing the deed. Bicycles also have been abandoned in canals, driveways and parking lots, as well as on private residences. The various cities had to develop regulations to control the issued. Must be working--haven't heard much about them for a while. :-)

    Hope your gorgeous weather continues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Taja, I had those as a kid, too. That's interesting about the bike share in your area. They have bike racks everywhere in Santa Monica. It makes it easy to lock your bike, and to put it on hold. Your credit card or debit card is charged if you damage a bike. The cost to replace one is $2,000.! They are fancy bicycles with GPS.

      Delete
  5. I had a bike assembled at the shop I bought it at. When I went to pick it up, I took two buses to get there. Then I rode it aalll the way across downtown to the end of the bus route that went past my apartment and got it home that way. I loved the ride all across downtown

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Akasha. Bike riding is to fun and relaxing. I love it. enjoy you bicycle and the healthy exercise...

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you didn't hurt yourself when your pants leg got caught up in the bike wheel and there was someone who came to your aid. That sea salt caramel gelato sounds wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. I was, too. I get that gelato at Sprouts, and it's delicious!

      Delete