Monday, June 17, 2019

Successful Ride Using Breeze Bike Share in Santa Monica

train tracks from my Saturday adventure

This morning I decided to drive back to Santa Monica and try using the Breeze Bike Share again. This time I brought the phone number of customer service with me, in case I had any trouble. There were several bikes available at the hub on the beach. I typed in my account number, but it didn't prompt me to enter my pin. This is what happened the first time I attempted to use the system, so I called them for help.

free parking is provided at Via Princessa Station

The woman there was excellent, and she talked me through it. I switched to a different bicycle with a keypad that was much easier to read and use. After entering my pin, I pulled out the locking bar, placed it in the pouch on the side of the bike, and headed up the beach bike trail. What a fabulous feeling!

outside courtyard at Union Station in Los Angeles

I rode up to Will Rogers Beach, and then back down to Main Street, in Venice. I was cautious about staying within the boundaries given on the maps. I had read stories of people going too far, and then being charged a fee for parking the bikes there.

waiting room at Union Station with live piano music and comfortable chairs

I felt elated. I rode for six miles, and was back in an hour. Next time I will ride for the full ninety minutes. It's so invigorating! The beach is just gorgeous. It's wonderful not to have to worry about cars or traffic. I think this is definitely going to be worth the $99.00 I spent for a yearly membership. You can ride ninety minutes per day!

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links or advice will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.   

12 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you were able to go back and try riding the bike again and this time, it worked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bless, Yes it did, and it's fabulous! I love the concept.

      Delete
  2. That sounds lovely. For $99/year it’s less expensive than joining a gym and I’m sure it’s much nicer to be outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, That's true. It's so worth it. I get the best workout, and the ocean air and breeze is so invigorating.

      Delete
  3. How wonderful that you managed to work it all out, albeit with help. The sea air and views must have made it all worthwhile, sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi mamasmercantile, Yes, the help line is terrific. Sometimes the key pads are a challenge. It is definitely worthwhile, thanks.

      Delete
  4. It's wonderful, when a plan, really works out well..... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI wisps, Yes, I'm very impressed with this program. The price is excellent.

      Delete
  5. Seeing the photos of Union Station brought back some memories. Many years ago I used to take the train from Oceanside to LA once a week when I taught a class at UCLA. The waiting room has changed some-no more flat wooden benches? I am glad you were able to finally work out the bike sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, I didn't know that you taught at UCLA. Wow! I have been thinking about taking the train to Oceanside. Yes, those chairs are very comfortable.

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad you were able to get it to work this time, and it sounds like you enjoyed a lovely ride by the beach. It's much more relaxing being able to cycle somewhere safe and traffic free. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules. I went again today, and tried a new bike path. It's really exciting to explore Santa Monica by bicycle. I loved there when I was eighteen. Yes, the traffic free beach path is my favorite...

      Delete