Sunday, June 16, 2019

Taking the Metro Train on a Saturday for $10.00 a Day

Santa Clarita Metrolink platform


Yesterday I purchased a $10.00 weekend pass for our local train service. I wanted to try the new railway that goes out to Santa Monica. I had read about it, but was a little bit intimidated. It sounded so complicated, requiring two transfers. It turns out, it wasn't, it was just time consuming.

I started at Via Princessa station. I used the kiosk to buy a weekend day pass. It's only good for one day. I was traveling on Saturday. I met a couple who were also waiting for the train, and had a nice chat with them. The woman was visiting from Paso Robles. She said that they are doing a lot of work on our public transportation system to prepare for the upcoming Olympics.

I took the train to Union Station, and transferred there to the the red line. I only had to go three stops, and switched over at 7th Street/Metro to the blue line. I took that all the way to the end, in Santa Monica. It was a long journey.  It took me two and a half hours.  The people that worked for Metro were extremely friendly and helpful. I was so impressed. It was a little scary riding the train, because of some of the passengers.  Nobody really bothered me, but I felt a little uneasy. A man on the Metro train was hitting on me, and when I didn't respond he became argumentative. He was asking me all kinds of personal questions, but he eventually got the message. It kind of reminded me of New York. You have to keep your guard up, and hang on to your bag.  I met a nice woman traveling with her sisters on my way home. She was extremely friendly and talkative. I also had a long conversation with a woman in Spanish who didn't speak English. It was good practice, and she was very sweet and helpful.

I  recently joined Breeze Bike Share and wanted to try out the bikes at Santa Monica station. Unfortunately, I wasn't successful getting the bike unlocked. I was able to punch in my account number, but it didn't prompt me for my pin number, which you need to unlock the bike.  I tried several different bikes, but to no avail.

I phoned customer service this morning, and the woman who helped me  said that it might have been that I hadn't confirmed my membership through an email that they sent me. I worked that out, and plan to try again next week. I really want to ride along the beach bike path again. I purchased a year membership for $99.00. You can use it every day for up to ninety minutes. I'm not able to take my own bike on a bike rack, because my VW Beetle has a glass sun roof. This should be a convenient solution.   Have you ever participated in a car share or bike share program?  

14 comments:

  1. The bike share scheme is a great idea, even better when it works properly. Fingers crossed for next time. We don't have a scheme here, although there are plenty of hire shops offering mountain bike rental for the tourists who fancy giving it a try.
    There is, however, a car share scheme. I looked I to it once, but as I need use of a car regularly it wouldn't have worked for me. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jules, Other people are using it regularly, so I'm hoping that next time I will be successful. We have car shares here, too. I think they are popular with the younger people in San Diego. No maintenance, gas fees, or parking worries...

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you had quite a successful adventure. I saw some of the work being done on the LA subway when we visited the La Brea Tar Pits in March. Lots of trenches on Wilshire Blvd. I had forgotten the Olympics were coming. Believe me-no one wants to see my bottom perched on a bicycle seat so no bike sharing for this old gal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anita, I am learning the route. La Brea Tar Pits is something I still need to experience. You are too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You still are brave, to go someplace, where you can be hassled. But I'm glad you had a lovely time, regardless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi wisps, I prefer going by car, it's so luxurious. Next time I will move if I feel uncomfortable. Today totally made up for it.

      Delete
  5. Good for you getting out and about, sounds like a great day out. Hopefully you will have more luck with the bike next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mamasmercantile. I went again today, and had a fabulous ride along the beach! Perseverance...

      Delete
  6. I am not overly keen traveling on the Whitby train alone on an evening. So few people are on the train and it makes me a little bit uneasy. I wouldn't care but it's such a beautiful journey through gorgeous scenery. It annoys me that women should ever be made to feel that way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds beautiful, Cherie. These trains were full. It's just on the weekends the crowd is not commuters, which I would prefer. The conversations I overheard made me nervous.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like quite an adventure! Too bad you were unable to unlock a bike, but, it sounds like you've solved that problem. I used to take my daughter to the La Brea Tar Pits/Page Museum, when she was little; haven't been there in years, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like fun, Bless. I went back today, and it was glorious. The ocean air is so healthy. It makes me sleepy...

      Delete
  8. sounds like you need one of those contraptions that go on the back of your car, on a toe-ball, if you have one, it's a bike carrier, see them all the time here, all different sizes as i've seen up to 5 bikes on the back of a car!
    men hassles we can certainly do without, glad it all turned out okay for you & you had an enjoyable day
    lovely post
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi selina, Thanks. No, I don't need one. I am happy with this program. They take care of all of the maintenance. I already spend more than that on keeping up with flat tires and repairs riding around my home. This way I can go miles and miles and not worry. They have stations everywhere in Santa Monica, especially near the beach, where I ride.

    ReplyDelete