Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Using Public Transportation Instead of Your Car



Here are some more photos from my Sunday bus trip to Santa Monica beach.  I started out at this bus stop in Canyon Country. I drove the short distance from my cottage and parked the car.  It's free.  I love this park; it's so lush and green. There are so many pine trees.  They provide us with much needed shade in the hot weather.


Annenburg Community Center and Breeze Bike Hub

There were plenty of bicycles at this beach station. I got mine at Colorado and 4th, by the Metro stop. It was a quick walk from Ocean Avenue and Colorado, where we were let off the bus. They have special bike lanes that are painted green. One of them goes straight down the pier. I unlocked my bike and cruised down Main Street. From there I turned right on Ocean Park, and headed down to the sand.  As you can see, the Breeze bikes are excellent quality. I love the roomy baskets. They have bells and hand brakes, and you can easily adjust the seat to fit your height. The rear key pad shows you how much time you have remaining, and how far you have ridden.

I love this pizza delivery bike at Stephano's Pizzeria on the 3rd Street Promenade

The ocean is so expansive. It really opens up your mind and consciousness. I have always felt completely at home here. I first came to Santa Monica as a thirteen year old babysitter. I knew as soon as my feet touched the ground that I wanted to move here when I got older. It was love at first sight for me. 

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links or advice will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.

14 comments:

  1. Public transport is quite expensive here if I use the bus for short trips. The train on the other hand is really cheap for short journeys. It flips around if we take long journey when the bus becomes the cheaper option. The ocean is beautiful but I am more country girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can buy monthly bus passes here. It comes out to a dollar a day. Those who have a low income get a reduced rate. The bike share is only $5.00 a month for those who qualify.

      Delete
  2. I love the sound and smell of the ocean. Another nice day at the beach for you! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a really pretty park! I've not seen a pizza delivery bike like that! Sounds like it was a very fun day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bless, It is very pretty. Yes, it was an exciting day in Santa Monica.

      Delete
  4. Lovely pictures of a wonderful place. You may have posted this before, but how long does the bus trip take from Santa Clarita to Santa Monica? I remember when I was on a consulting job in Santa Monica several folks who worked at the facility lived in Santa Clarita and they said the drive was over an hour each way because of the traffic. Keep those wonderful beach scenes coming!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, It's supposed to take an hour, but we got there faster. There wasn't any traffic in the morning. It takes an hour and fifteen minutes to get home. It goes by quickly though, when you are not driving. I had a long conversation with a woman from Ireland who was on the bus.

      Delete
  5. A joy to see a little more of where you spend your time. It was fun to see the delivery bike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mamasmercantile. It's a special place. I'm so glad you are enjoying seeing it. Thank you.

      Delete
  6. Sometimes I miss taking the bus. I used to read while waiting for the bus ( I can’t read on the bus, it makes me nauseous), and enjoyed watching people.
    You are lucky to have a good public transportation system in your area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, Yes, we are. California is spending a billion dollars on our public transportation system. It's very exciting. They want to encourage people to walk, bike, use scooters, and take the bus. It seems to be working. I am seeing more seniors riding bikes at the beach. It makes me smile...

      Delete
  7. I love seeing your photos Stephanie. Way back in 1978 my husband & I had camped at San Clemente, sth of LA, after driving in a little Datsun diagonally across the country from New York, and then drove north the length of the Californian coast & into Oregon, either camping in our 2 man tent or staying in Hotel 6’s. Such good memories.
    The bicycle system sounds good. Wearing bicycle helmets is compulsory in Australia which makes bike hire a bit more complicated.
    Lyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lyn. I'm glad you are enjoying them. I've been to San Clemente on Amtrak. That sounds like a fantastic trip! That's interesting about the bike helmets. I always wear one. Thanks for reading and for commenting.

      Delete