Thursday, June 6, 2019

Children's Enthusiasm



Yesterday as I was walking Lula, I heard one of my favorite neighbors calling out my name. "Miss Tehpohney," his voice rang out from behind the thick hedge of rose bushes. He's four. I greeted him with enthusiasm. "Miss Tehpohney,"  he repeated, " I'm going to have dinner, and after dinner, I'm going to watch my FAVORITE movie!" "Really? That's great!"  I laughed. "Hi!" his little sister called out to me. They are both so friendly and happy. Just hearing their voices always  lifts my spirits.

I thought about how as we get older it is so easy to slip into judgement and criticism. Children are always busy and engaged, stimulated by everything they see. "Look at that truck!" my little neighbor will say. His mind is moving a mile a minute.  I learn so much about the right mental attitude from him. What a difference compared  to how  many seniors often think and talk.  I catch myself all the time.  No wonder grandparents adore spending time with their grandchildren. They are so cute!

I am reading a library book called Move Into Life, by Anat Baniel. It contains the nine essentials for lifelong vitality. I find it fascinating. Some of these suggestions are activities that I used to do naturally. Learning new things and taking classes really lights up our brains. Before having my hips replaced I was always in ballet class. Learning the combinations was such a challenge.  I find that travel also stimulates me. When you are in new situations and locations, you have to memorize and absorb new behaviors and paths. It works the brain and memory.  Even our dogs long to be taken on  an adventure and to experience new vistas.

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry but comments with links will not be published. Please do not self promote or give advice. If you enjoy the posts here, feel free to share them.  

14 comments:

  1. So true! Everything you say about children! Maybe we have to get older and wiser to appreciate the joy they bring. Besides other things for vitality, I've read that exercises that increase our oxygen (such as pilates) help our brain and memory. I can tell my oxygen levels are better from walking each day, especially from walking up hills. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes sense, Andrea. I know that riding my bike gets my heart pumping, and that really helps.

      Delete
  2. Your little neighbor sounds cute! That sounds like an interesting book. I've just finished reading a book (one of my daughter's text books from when she was at university) which taught me several new words. I am not quite sure if I'll ever use those words in regular conversation or writing, but, that doesn't matter! What matters is, I learned some new words. Got to keep those brain cells working! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bless, Yes, the brain cells do need a challenge. We were designed to learn and expand...

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Yes, they are such sweet children. I adore them.

      Delete
  4. Having little children growing up next door will be so fun for you! They're at an adorable age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pipistrello, They aren't next door, but are in the neighborhood. It is a really fun age.

      Delete
  5. Your little neighbours sound like a lot of fun. Children's joy and enthusiasm is infectious. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it really is. They are so full of light and pure love.

      Delete
  6. Your small friends sound like a couple of charmers. I am saddened by all the negativity I experience around us. I refuse to fall into that pool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, Good for you. I have been watching some incredibly inspiring movies and television and it has put me on such a high.

      Delete
  7. Those little neighbours of yours sound delightful, uplifting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are such little sweeties, mamasmercantile.

      Delete