Sunday, June 9, 2019

How What We Read and Watch Affects Our Relationships

on vacation with my family as a teenager



Yesterday I realized that if I watch movies that are dark and sad, I also begin to feel that way. I may even start to project the behavior of the characters onto my own family memories and relationships.  We have to be careful with the power of influence. It's so easy to absorb the energy of a book, television show, or movie, and to mistake it for your own emotion.  We have to differentiate.  My mother could always tell who I had been playing with when I was young. She said that with a certain friend I got brattier. She was right.  We used to egg each other one and we were a bad influence on each other.

It helps to make a conscious effort to choose material that uplifts, ignites and inspires you. I think the main reason I had a successful career as a dancer was because I used to sing along to albums like "Annie" and "The Sound of Music", and imagine that I was in those shows. I played the soundtracks over an over, visualizing myself saying the lines, and dancing the parts. Eventually, it came true.  I jumped into the scene, in my mind.

making up dances and teaching them to my friend at about thirteen years of age

We can choose entertainment that gives us energy and hope.  It's much healthier than watching things that are depressing or ugly. That's the power of art. One of the reasons that I love to travel so much is that the new scenery and beauty expand our hearts and minds.  We can change locations in our imaginations, as well.

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links or advice will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.

10 comments:

  1. You are so right. I normally don’t like movies with sad ending. Real life already has its ups and downs, and I don’t need to add more to it by watching / reading sad fictions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Nil. It can really affect your mood.

      Delete
  2. I totally agree. I usually enjoy watching gentle chick lit type movies. I detest bad language and nudity so avoid them most of the time. My preference these days has moved toward gardening programs and house renovations.

    Love that photo of you dancing with a friend. My sister and I did the same. We spent hours making up dances to various songs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fun, Cherie. It's a great way to use your imagination. I still study my favorite pieces of choreography online, and learn them.

      Delete
  3. I believe you are right, Stephenie. These outside influences do affect us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Bless. The outer affects the inner, and vice versa.

      Delete
  4. I have experienced that dark, mean feeling while I read much more often than when I watch movies or see plays. Excellent post and fun pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, That's interesting. I don't see as many movies or plays as I would like. I love live theater and inspiring films.

      Delete
  5. Yes! What we watch, can linger with us. For uplift, or for depression. Thank you for saying this. I never knew if I was the only one, it happened to. :-)))

    For a while, I was watching rather dark, European crime dramas on Netflix and etc. It finally got to be tooooooo much. -sigh- The plots stayed with me, and were not enhancing my life. So, I finally dropped them, from my viewing life.

    As I have said, I am now "into" reading Miss Marple books. Still crime, but much more gentle, compared with today's standards. Plus, with the delights of UK village life.

    I love the pictures of you, growing up. You knew your dream, early. And followed it. :-)

    Gentle hugs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi wisps, Yes I did. It really helped me to stay on track.

      Delete