Sunday, May 6, 2018

A Morning Hike And A Sweet Little Girl


This morning I took Lula to Placerita Canyon for a hike on the Botany Trail. It was a  beautiful and peaceful setting . This park is only a ten minute drive from my home. I really enjoyed seeing all of the wildflowers in bloom, and reading the wooden signs that labeled the native plants.


This little hut is small but efficient.


 This is a rack that was used for drying animal skins.


Here is an explanation of the history of this area.The oak trees are old and established. It's so soothing to be in their presence. Next time I will bring a picnic. There are several benches and picnic tables under the trees.


We met a very sweet little girl and her mom on the way back. The little girl was wearing brightly colored sunglasses, and she was so friendly and amiable. She and Lula became instant friends. I felt an immediate connection with her, as well. The older I get, the more I find that  I enjoy conversing with children. I showed her how to use Lula's pink water bottle/water bowl. She loved it. Lula eagerly lapped up all of the water.


We headed back to the parking lot, and I drove home for lunch. I heated up leftover beef stew and a slice of homemade bread. I made a chef's salad for dinner  using Romaine lettuce, red peppers, grated carrots, sliced red onion, avocado, cheese, turkey ham, and homemade croutons. The homemade bread makes the most incredible croutons. I baked them in my  vintage toaster oven, to save on electricity. I love how they taste topped with melted butter, parmesan cheese, and fresh garlic. They add so much crunch and flavor to the salad.   How was your weekend?   

Thank you for your comments. I greatly appreciate them. They add so much energy and personality to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but links will not be published. If you enjoy the articles here, please share them.

8 comments:

  1. What a beautiful place. I especially like the hut and the description of it.
    You are lucky to live close to many beautiful hiking areas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nil. Yes, this is a beautiful area, especially Placerits Canyon. Looks like you had a fun day trip over the weelend, as well.

      Delete
  2. Good idea! Croutons from homemade bread...a good way to use it up. Children are precious. I think the more we can see children the happier our day can go. Interesting little hut...it makes me feel how we have it too easy these days! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the croutons are delicious. Not the most healthy, but they taste divine! I agree with you about children.

      Delete
  3. I bought a hollyhock yesterday at a local plant nursery. I can't wait to see it in flower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Cherie. I wonder what color it is...

      Delete
  4. The hut looks similar to the one the Indians built in our area. I also love the old oak trees. We have many of them in the San Dieguito River Park that is adjacent to our house. Many of them were badly burned during the fires of 2007, but came back the next spring. Your hike sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to crawl in there, Anita. it's so tiny. We've lost a lot of oaks in the fires here, too. They do grow back, in time. They are such amazing trees...

      Delete