Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Raw Almonds


I bought a pound of these raw almonds at the Armenian market last week. They look almost like tiny green peaches. The skin is fuzzy and green.





I sliced into the corner with a sharp knife. It's difficult not to cut into the nut itself. You peel off the outside layer.



Some of them broke, but they will still be edible. The next day they were still wet and soft, like fruit.  It's fascinating to me, because I have only seen almonds that were dried, roasted, and packaged.  Smokehouse almonds are my favorite, I love the delicious spices. I always give a huge canister of those to my dad at Christmastime.


It's gotten chillier here, and is such perfect knitting weather. I finished the first sleeve for Carbeth. One more to go, and then the yoke. I have been wearing the Oaklet Shawl that I made regularly. Shawls are so useful! I think that the next one that I knit will be larger. I prefer them to a sweater at times. This sweater is going to be so plush and comfy! I love simple sweaters. I find that those are the ones that I wear regularly. You can pull them on like a sweatshirt. For me, basic patterns equal useful garments. I've been taking my time knitting this piece. I used to plow through sweaters, working for hours end. Now I approach it in a more leisurely fashion. I am savoring the process, and this plush, grey yarn... 

Here is the Oaklet Shawl, blocked. I love the simple lace border. I added a couple of stripes, and used Llama Una worsted weight yarn, on larger needles.  I ran out of the blue, and had to run to the local yarn shop to buy an extra skein. I have gotten SO much use out of this already! It looks nice as a wrap, too. Let me know how yours is going, if you are making one. 

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and enthusiasm to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but links will not be published. If you enjoy the articles here, please share them.

10 comments:

  1. The colour of your shawl is beautiful! I love its lacy border. My own shawl is coming along very slowly as I just do a little at a time now and then. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg. I wasn't sure how often I'd wear a purple shawl, but it gets regular use. I saw the photos of your shawl on your blog. It's really pretty.

      Delete
  2. How funny you should write about slowing down and enjoying the actual process of knitting. This is a concept that I have embraced more and more as I tackle more complex knitting techniques. And especially now that I am knitting (for the first time ever) with natural fiber yarns. Your shawls are lovely as is the sweater. It is getting warmer here and I suspect it is around your place as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, Yes, the weather is perfect for knitting on the porch. How exciting that you are using natural fiber yarns. The patterns you choose always look very challenging.

      Delete
  3. In 2012 I took part in a 12 in 2012 shawl making challenge. Each month we chose a different one to knit or crochet. I had such fun and learned so much from making the different ones. Some I kept and some I gifted. I have some gorgeous yarn to knit my next shawl with.. if I can stop making garden planters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie, Wow! Twelve shawls, that's a lot of knitting. I look forward to seeing your next one, with the gorgeous yarn.

      Delete
  4. I've never seen green almonds in the shops here..how exciting!
    I'm a shawl person too, possible because I love layers and feeling cozy.
    The crocheted shawl has such glorious texture and colors. A larger version will be quite a showstopper!
    At best, I am a utilitarian crocheter.....but that is very inspiring.
    The Oaklet shawl is perfect for jeans. That lace edge really makes it very special. You will get so much use from such a classic piece.
    Mine is about 1/3 complete. It has gone through several yarn and gauge changes as well as some very annoying setbacks..Stay tuned!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jill, That's the Lost In Time shawl. I am considering making another one in a lightweight cotton blend yarn, but I haven't worked up the nerve yet. It was a challenging pattern. I like The Virus shawl, too. It looks much easier. You're right, I wear the Oaklet Shawl all the time with jeans. Sorry to hear you are having trouble with yours. Wait till you get to the lace! (Just kidding.) I needed lifelines in that pattern. It was worth it to finish it, though. Keep us posted on yours...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful knitting. I never knew almonds looked like that from the tree!
    I read down below and I'm sorry for your loss of your dog. A couple years ago I had to make that decision for our family dog. So goes life, sadly! We did get a new dog but time will come and repeat itself so I'm not sure that was the answer to my sadness. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Andrea, Hello, welcome, and thanks for commenting. I'm sorry about your dog, too. It's very sad to lose them, but they are such unconditionally loving companions. My mom taught me to get a younger dog before the older one dies. She felt that it makes it easier. I love the routine a dog provides. They have hearts of gold.

    ReplyDelete