Monday, May 14, 2018

Mother's Day Musings


Yesterday was Mother's Day, here in the U.S. The last time I went home, I found these photographs of my mom. She was so beautiful. She looked like a movie star. I mentioned it to my dad yesterday and he answered, "Yes, she always did." She had so much style. I miss her.


As I get older, I realize that my time here is limited. I have been thinking about what I want to accomplish with the rest of my life. It's like a new chapter.  I am getting the itch to travel again. The day before  Mother's Day I was given a free cruise. It was an unexpected surprise from an old friend. He is the vice president of entertainment on one of the top cruise lines.  My mother loved taking cruises with my aunt. I can't help but wonder if they had something to do with this, on a spiritual level. I am very excited about it. Looking forward to, and planning a journey. is almost as much fun as taking one.

I have been thinking about my mom's life, and the challenges that she faced. She battled alcoholism and prescription drug addiction. She could never kick either of them, and they were a terrible combination. She tried so hard to make everything just perfect. I can now see more clearly why she struggled in the areas that she did. My dad recently told me that she had married another man before she met him. The marriage was annulled after she caught him in bed with another man. What a shock that must have been. I found it fascinating. It must have been terribly upsetting. He was an actor. I am so thankful that she married my dad. He was an excellent husband and father, and extremely dependable. It's interesting how we all have family secrets that shape and condition our lives.

She was very good with children and animals. Dogs absolutely loved her. Her own dogs were extremely well trained. She took them everywhere with her.  She also had a very green thumb. She grew Christmas cactus and orchids indoors. They always seemed to be in bloom. Happy Mother's Day, Mom.

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but links will not be published. If you enjoy the articles here, please share them.   

14 comments:

  1. Your mom was quite a woman! Yes, very pretty and sounds like a "do-er"! Women did seem to dress up more and work on poise back then, didn't they!
    Well I'm glad she married your dad so you could be here to have your journey. And I am sure you will love your future cruise! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea, I think this was a costume for a beauty pageant that she entered. It might have been Miss California. She didn't win. I think she told me that she sang "Surrey With The Fringe On Top". Yes, she was very poised. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Your mom was so beautiful. When I saw the first photo, initially I thought it was you. You look like your mom. :)
    I'm so sorry that your mom is not here with you anymore, Stephenie. I can understand how much you miss her.
    The cruise sounds great. I hope you will write about it later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nil. I always used to wish that I looked like her when I was a girl. Now I see an older version of her when I look in the mirror. I will definitely write about the cruise and take photos...

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful photo Stephanie. It does make one wonder when certain things fall into place (like a cruise) that are so deeply meaningful, if there is more to it than coincidence. Enjoy your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lady Locust. She was happiest when on a cruise...no cooking or cleaning!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mom was lovely. My mom also battled alcoholism, but she kept it somewhat under control. I wish she would have been more open about her childhood and young adulthood, but she was very bitter and I think a bit ashamed of the circumstances of her extended family. How wonderful about a free cruise. I agree-the planning and anticipation are sometimes the best part of a vacation. We are planning for a cruise in 2020!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting, Anita. It's fun to watch the videos and prepare. That's sad about your mom. Family circumstances can be very challenging. You seem to have a great attitude, in spite of it all.

      Delete
  6. You mom looks so cute and beautiful. Women always like to do makeups and look stylish. All mothers are the hero for their children:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Weekend. I hope you had a Happy Mother's Day, and thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You mum looks so beautiful. Such a pity that women no longer dress up in pretty dresses. Blue jeans seems to be the universal uniform. Where will your cruise take you? It must be so exciting to plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cherie. Yes, I love the planning. It's amazing how you print out your boarding passes and check in at home now. This is a short cruise, and we won't be stopping at any ports.

      Delete