Monday, May 7, 2018

A Very Fast Cable Knit Hat


This morning, as I was enjoying a cafe au lait, and reading the Yarn Harlot's blog, I found this fabulous pattern for a cabled hat. It's knit  in chunky yarn, and the pattern is free! I decided to whip it up; chunky yarn is so much faster to knit with than dk. I pulled up the chart on my computer, and got to work. I used some tan alpaca yarn that I had in my stash. I bought it on sale a couple of months ago. It's perfect. Stephanie is such a talented designer.


I was surprised at how quickly I had it finished. The last hat that I knit took me a month. It was a complicated, (well, for me,)  cable pattern on dk weight yarn. This was SO much easier. It's too small for my very large head, but will be nice for a gift. I don't really need another hat, anyway.  I have two already, but this pattern and yarn were very tempting.


It has a simple finish. You just close it up like a drawstring bag and weave in the ends. I blocked it and am letting it dry now. Such a productive day! It feels great to finish a knitting project. I am still cranking away at the Carbeth sweater and the second pair of Winwick Mum's Easy Lace Socks. This was a side dish...I highly recommend this pattern. It uses size 10 dpn needles. You can make it on larger needles if you need a size large. Let me know if you try it. I'm dying to make another one...maybe tomorrow!

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.     

8 comments:

  1. Wow, you are a very fast knitter. It's beautiful.
    Perhaps you can make a bunch and sell before winter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, Thanks. I love it. I don't think she wants people selling them, unfortunately. It's a gorgeous design, though.

      Delete
  2. That's a very nice hat. It must feel lovely to wear made with chunky weight alpaca yarn.
    What were the dimensions on the hat? I have a large head and always have to fiddle with adjustments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill. Mine is only 7 1/2" across, by 7", if you measure it flat, I stretched. I think I would have to add fourteen more stitches, and/or go up a needle size or two to fit a large head. I measured the gauge after blocking it, and I had four extra stitches. I hope to figure it out on the next one. I will try it on circulars. I knit more loosely on those than dpn's.

      Delete
  3. I love knitting cable, I always knot a bit faster do I can see the pattern form.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's motivating, isn't it? This one you just do the first sixteen rows twice, and then finish it. I can't wait to make another one!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you Bless. It's one of my favorite patterns by The Yarn Harlot.

      Delete