Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Figuring Out How Things Work In Your Cabin


My biggest challenge on the cruise was getting up to speed on technology. Once I found my cabin, I  couldn't figure out how to unlock the door. It's been thirty years since I have sailed on a ship. Back when I was touring with shows, you slid your plastic card into the hotel door, and pulled it out. Once the green light flashed, the door unlocked. On The Bliss, you just tap your card on the door lock, and it unlocks for you. It was very simple, but I had to ask someone from housekeeping how to do it.

Once I got inside, I couldn't figure out how to turn on the lights. None of the switches were doing anything. It felt like we had no electricity. It turns out there's a little card holder near the door. You have to slide you card into it and leave it there.

My friends asked me to message them on Facebook so that we could get together. I opened an account, but I had trouble with the server. I was told that I would probably have better luck in the Internet Cafe. Fortunately, we had phones in our room with a flashing red light if you had a voice message. That afternoon I noticed that I had a message from my friend. We made arrangements to meet for a drink, see the show, and have dinner. It was great to hear his voice.  It's so much simpler to just talk on the phone. I much prefer it to texting, which I still don't have. I forgot to pack my phone charger, so my cell phone went dead. Fortunately, I didn't need it.

When I got home the first night, I couldn't figure out how to turn off the lights. I spent forty minutes playing with the switches. All it seemed to do was turn on more lights. I was getting very frustrated. It was late, and I was tired. I thought I would just remove the card from the holder, and figure it all out in the morning. That way I could see.  Once I removed the card, it was pitch black. I felt very disoriented, and I couldn't see a thing. I had the card holder around my neck. I felt like an old lady.


I started to panic, imagining that if there was a fire on board, I would be groping around and unable to flee. My mind started to play tricks on me. I put the card back in the holder, and finally found the little black button on the lamp that turned out the night light. Next time I'll pack my travel clock. Once again, it was really easy, but I guess I'm just not very mechanically minded. I live in an older home with antiques and vintage appliances. Things have really changed.


We  received a beautiful journal with a pen, and a shopping tote with the NCL logo on it. I thought that was so sweet. I never did figure out how to work the t.v. I haven't had television in years. It seemed very similar to working a computer, but I struggled with the basics. I'll have to learn. By the end of the trip, I felt right at home, and had gotten into a groove.  

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  

9 comments:

  1. The top photo was taken by Danny Austin. I think it's so beautiful and romantic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a riot! I would be right there with you in not knowing how to work those things. But if I was there with you we wouldn't have panicked but just laughed because I would have been saying all those silly things that are so "helpful" in such situations 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend Rich told me that the lights all would have come on in an emergency. It would have been fun if you were there, Lady Locust.

      Delete
  3. It's very interesting to read about the technology on the ship. Everything is changing so rapidly, sometimes it's hard to keep up with all the new stuff.
    Thanks for sharing your cruise experience Stephenie. I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, I was astonished at how far behind I am. Once someone shows me, I understand immediately. I just am not very good at figuring it out myself. I'm glad you enjoyed reading about the cruise. There is more coming...

      Delete
  4. I think we must be sisters under the skin! I am always behind with technology. I have never seen the need for Facebook or other social media (besides LinkedIn which was a must professionally) so I am baffled when someone wants me to use it. Your stateroom sounds like it was wonderful. I am looking forward to reading more about your trip. Oh-I meant to mention last time how wonderful it must have been to just drive to San Pedro instead of having to fly into a port!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, I have gotten work through Facebook, and it's reconnected me to fantastic talented friends from show business. I love it, but sometimes I can't get on, depending on the location. And yes, it was so convenient just to drive to the pier and park! Heaven!

      Delete
  5. Next time bring a small flashlight...lol. I would have been frustrated too! Good old phone! Well new phone but an old way of communicating! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea, I will, thanks. I was kind of paranoid, because I have heard stories of fires on ships. I have too vivid of an imagination. I agree with you about the good old phone. It's comfortable and easy.

      Delete