Thursday, May 3, 2018

Cutting Down On Sugar and Coffee


Last night I realized  that I need to reduce the amount of sugar that  I eat. I've always had a sweet tooth. Lately I've been snacking on gummy bears, pineapple sherbet, and chocolate.  I've also been sneaking in a third cafe au lait in the afternoons,  which is one too many for me. Not to mention the fact that I put two heaping spoonfuls of sugar in my coffee. When you live alone, it's so easy to cheat. Nobody's watching. Last night in bed my arms started aching. It reminded me of when I had osteoarthritis in my hips. I've been so fortunate since having my hips replaced, able to sleep soundly, and living  pain free. I don't want to cause diet related  problems. I can tell that I am, so it's time to change.


I've also been baking homemade bread regularly. It's so delicious, but I make it with white flour. That's not the greatest choice, health-wise, either.  It just tastes so good! The thick slices are incredibly soft, chewy, and delicious. Today I made a broccoli cheese casserole, and put homemade breadcrumbs on the top of it. Instead of making a turkey ham and cheese sandwich on freshly baked bread, I put the ham and cheese in a salad with from scratch balsamic vinaigrette. I've got to be more disciplined, in order to prevent age related aches and pains.


The garden is exploding with energy. It's crowded, but happy. I planted things close together in order to save water. One of the mystery squash plants that I transplanted looks like it is adapting. I'm curious to see what it is. It may be a butternut squash, or a pale pink pumpkin sized gourd. We will see...

My neighbor stopped by with her dogs. We think Lula and Bam Bam look so cute together. They have the same coloring.  It's been perfect dog walking weather here. I walked a few miles today to the post office, to mail a monthly soap order to an Etsy customer. I took the bus home, and chatted with a friend. Hope you are doing well.

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but links will not be published. If you enjoy the articles here, please share them. 



6 comments:

  1. I have a bit of a sweet tooth too and I try to manage that by always reducing the amount of sugar in any recipe and snacking on vege sticks with hommus or things like that. I think that having a really healthy diet is like having an insurance policy! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it helps to eat protein, too, Meg. I agree with you about the healthy diet. It makes such a difference.

      Delete
  2. Oh-Gummy Bears and pineapple sherbet-2 of my favorite things!! I try very hard to not snack during the day. It is not easy because I am one of those types who eat out of boredom. Luckily though I drink only black coffee with no added sugar. Your gardens look so lush. We are very careful with our water down our way-each drop used in the yard has a purpose and we take care to make sure our irrigation lines and sprinklers are working properly. Sweet doggie photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have watering restrictions here, too, Anita. It's been cooler till now, so the plants are happy. I've started using xylitol in my coffee. I just don't like it black, though.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment! Your garden looks lovely and green and oh, those hollyhocks! How beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like sweets much, except dark chocolate and ice cream. :)
    It's good that you are cutting back your sugar intake. I try to use less sugar and salt in my food.

    I love your garden. It's so green.

    ReplyDelete