Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Getting Your Passport Renewed



Today I went down to the Federal Building in Santa Monica to renew my passport. I had made an appointment over the phone. They have an automated system. You select the day and time, and they call you the night before to confirm it.

I left the house at 10:00 a.m. for a 12:00 noon slot. I expected the traffic on the 405 freeway to be congested, but it actually flowed very smoothly. There is always some back up around the 101 interchange, but I still arrived at my destination in about an hour. For the San Diego freeway at that hour, that is making excellent time.

Parking was free, plentiful, and close to the entrance. I waited in line for about forty minutes. Even if you have an appointment, you still have to stand in line. Things were very organized and professional. Once inside, I set off the metal detectors, and couldn't figure out why. I had removed my belt, keys, and knitting scissors.  The agent asked me if I'd had any of my joints replaced. That was what was triggering the alarms! I explained that I'd had both hips replaced, so he took me off to the side. He carefully ran the metal detector over my body. They were very thorough, which I appreciate, in this day and age.

I had all of my paperwork filled out and ready to go. The lines moved quickly and smoothly. I was impressed with how respectful and cooperative all of the customers were. Everyone seemed to be excited about traveling.

I was in my car and driving home at 12:36 p.m. Pretty impressive, I thought. It made me feel very happy to see so many different nationalities following the rules, being courteous, and waiting their turn. We hear so much of the negative on the news, but this was a very positive and uplifting experience. The military presence was strong, protective, and excellent. I felt proud of them and very grateful to have my United States passport and citizenship.  

Thank you for your comments. They add so much energy and talent to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them. 

6 comments:

  1. Hi! It sounds like that office is run well! Now you are all set for a decade I guess! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea, Yes, you are right. It's an exciting feeling.

      Delete
  2. The first step toward your exciting vacation is complete! It makes me feel good whenever I read about positive experiences with government agencies. I cannot remember ever having an truly BAD time with an agency, some minor frustrations maybe, but overall I have always been treated very fairly. Maybe because I try to be nice, personable and civil.

    Just a tip regarding your experience with the metal detector. You should inform TSA about it as you enter the security lines at the airport. They will assist you with a special screening and save you some from incurring some unnecessary problems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anita, I've told them at airports, but completely forgot about my hips yesterday. Glad to hear that you've had such positive experiences, too. I was so impressed with their efficiency. I gave them a five star review when I got home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's good that it was such a positive experience, it makes life so much easier when everyone can be patient and be courteous to everyone else xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true, Cheryl. I was very impressed with their efficiency.

      Delete