Wednesday, May 9, 2018

If At First You Don't Succeed...


Today I decided to try again with The Unoriginal Hat pattern by Stephanie Pearl- McPhee. It turns out that I made a mistake in my needle size on the first version. I'm still not used to metrics.  She did hers on size 7mm needles, and she has a very small head.  I should have used a set of US 10.5 dpn's. I accidentally pulled out my US size 10's. That's a big mistake on this pattern, and it's why my gauge was off by four stitches. It makes me feel better, because I was starting to wonder if Stephanie was a very loose knitter. It's probably time for me to get some better glasses, too. My readers aren't cutting it.

 Today  I bought a pair of size US11 dpn's at Creative Ewe in Canyon Country. It is making all the difference. I can tell that this hat will fit perfectly. I'm so relieved.  I like the drape of it on this size needles better, too. Coincidentally, it matches the grey Carbeth sweater that I have been working on for ages. I'm definitely into knitting more neutrals, since watching The Gentle Knitter podcasts. They go with everything.

Our local yarn shop, Creative Ewe is moving the location of its warehouse. I will really miss shopping there,  and knitting at their Wednesday afternoon sessions. I am so glad that I took as many classes as I could with Yuko Frederick  She  really gave me an excellent base of knowledge in knitting and crocheting. I have had many interesting and humorous conversations with the owner, Christian. He is so passionate and talented. I feel sad that they have to close their beautiful brick and mortar shop;  it's such a special place. They really put their hearts and souls into it. I know they will still do very well with their online sales. I guess all good things must end. So now I will be knitting from my very large stash. It's kind of like a mini yarn store in a closet. I realized when I started donating clothing to the thrift store, (to make room for boxes of yarn), that I had a problem. I don't need that many clothes, anyway.

Thank you for your comments. They add so much energy and talent to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.

14 comments:

  1. "i don't need that many clothes" made me giggle, i have a problem of buying too much yarn too, though i have a very good reason for it; when i finally go onto the aged pension i won't have as much money so i'm buying as much as i can now, usually when it's on special like the recent 16ply (chunky 4 or 5 i think?) 200g balls for $10 each! how could i not get it & so much too, but i have plans for most of it for friends & family :))
    yes, i have been looking at her pattern & thinking it was rather small & will have to do a bit of adjusting, she says just go up needle sizes, so will test it out once i start; always on the lookout for quick simple beanies
    great post
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Selina, I finished the grey one on larger needles, and it fits really well. That's a great deal you got on the chunky yarn. I look forward to seeing your beanies.

      Delete
  2. I have made some silly mistakes when resizing things. I have sometimes used odd pins to get the right size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's so important. I will probably frog the first one, and redo it.

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry to hear that the yarn shop is closing. Virtual suppliers are nice but I would really love an actual shop like you had. Rents here are so high that they all closed quite a while ago.

    The Carbeth sweater is coming along beautifully in that yarn. It's such a distinctive style and will be stunning when finished.... and you will have a matching hat as well!!! Serendipity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill, That's too bad that your yarn shops closed. It's a loss. I love that place. Thanks for the encouragement on the Carbeth sweater. I do really like it in this yarn. Grey is becoming one of my new favorite neutrals for knitting.

      Delete
  4. It's sad to see small independent shops closing. Once a used bookstore owner told me how hard it is to make money because people tend to buy books online. I'm guilty of that too though I try my best to shop at small stores.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's true, Nil. Rents are also high. I will miss this sweet little shop, and the people that run it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have just discovered the charm of an independent small yarn shop. I can understand how sad you must feel to lose a special shop. The sweater and hat look great. Glasses to read!??? Just wait until you are my age!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anita. Am still working on the second sleeve. Maybe I shouldn't wait! Your yarn shop sounds ideal.

      Delete
  7. It think it's sad when little independent shops close, I think the community is that little bit poorer for their absence. We had a little yarn shop that closed here a while ago too and I really miss being able to go in and ask for advice if I was stuck! Now, too, a locally owned greengrocer has closed to be replaced by a fast food restaurant. Sigh! Meg

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Meg, I guess it's happening everywhere. One thing I love about Wrightwood is that they have lots of little shops and small businesses. Online sales have hurt many of the places here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's nice that your new hat matches the color of the sweater you are knitting!

    ReplyDelete