Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice From The Garden


I have been enjoying freshly squeezed orange juice from the garden each morning. The taste is amazing! I may start eating them, instead of juicing them, so that the harvest lasts for a longer time. One glass of juice takes five oranges! I am giving some to my mail lady when she whizzes by this afternoon. I dropped off several artichokes for my neighbor earlier today. She gave me another bag of her sweet grapefruit, and a couple of volunteer nectarine trees.  The citrus are scrumptious! There is nothing like fresh, tree ripened fruit. It's one of the reasons that I settled in Southern California. I always dreamed of growing my own fruits and vegetables, and now I am.

I made another batch of compost tea this afternoon. It does such an excellent job of feeding the plants, and it's free. All it takes is the correct balance of greens and browns. I collect all of my fruit and vegetable peels, scraps, and leftovers. Thanks to my compost pile, I have a tiny bag of  trash each week.  I think the manure that my neighbor gives me really adds a punch to the effect of the compost tea. It makes everything so green and vibrant! Vegetables that are home grown always taste more flavorful, and they are so tender.


The hat is now dried and blocked. I am going to try making another one, hopefully in a size large. I will probably add an extra fourteen stitches, and  work it on circular needles in the round. I have another ball of alpaca yarn in grey. If the size works, I may redo the first one. Or, I will gift it to someone with a very, very small head.   

I redid the heel on the lace socks today. Actually, I redid it twice. I realized that I had gone wrong when I didn't need to knit across to start picking up stitches. On the second attempt I miscounted, but by the third time I got it right. There was no longer a tiny, mysterious hole at the bottom. I think that's where I should have closed the gap. I love this yarn, and these socks. They are meditative to knit. The Tofutsies yarn washes really nicely, too.

   
Thank you for your comments. They add so much energy and talent to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them. 

12 comments:

  1. love fresh citrus but something is wrong with all ours in the area, it tastes bloody awful has no juice & lots of woody bits through out. usually the mandarins are to die for around here but not this year.
    glad you're getting to enjoy bartering with your neighbours, they sound great.
    colours in your sock look gorgeous so pretty
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's too bad, Selina. That sounds like what happened to our when there was a drought. They were so dry and tasteless. I hope you find a way to fix it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky you being able to squeeze your own oranges. Fresh vitamin C great healthy drink. The hat looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tania. The freshly squeezed orange juice is divine. I am very fortunate to have this land and these trees.

      Delete
  4. The sock is so pretty! I am still on the learning curve with my socks and I believe I have made just about every mistake that can be made so far. Yesterday as I was trying on the second sock I knocked off many stitches from the needle and the stitches unraveled down many rows. I picked them up, but it looks terrible. I will continue on however, because these are the learning pair! The first sock of this set I did a row of successful Kitchener stitching for the first time ever. But, the toe is going the wrong direction. GRRR. I agree about home grown food. Our lettuce is so tender and full of favor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I've made those mistakes, too Anita. With perseverance you will get there. it took me three pair of socks to feel comfortable and able. Once you get the hang of it, socks are very addictive. Eventually they become relaxing. It just takes time and patience.

      Delete
  5. Pretty knitting! You are richly blessed in fresh fruit (and veggies). I can imagine they taste so much better than what I get out here in the stores. We lived in Texas one year, and we were surprised how sweet the grapefruit tasted. Up here we have to put lots of sugar in it, due to the transporting time to get it to us and not being picked ripe I guess! Just as an example...I'm sure the same goes for everything. Maybe that is why it is so special for us to finally get vine ripened fruits and vegetables in the summer from farmers' markets. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right.they really mellow and get sweeter in May. I noticed a huge difference in the tastes of fruits and vegetables when I lived in Europe. We get so much sunshine here, all year long. The plants absorb it. Enjoy those farmers' markets, Andrea.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful fresh fruit! How lovely to be able to gift some to others and share the bounty you have. I think that's one of gardening's greatest joys. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Meg. It's exciting to share it. I'm very motivated to plant a few more things in this edible landscape.

      Delete
  7. I bet the blossom on your trees smells amazing. I only have one lemon and one orange tree but the fragrance when they are in flower is heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie, Yes, it's intoxicating. I look forward to Spring each year.

      Delete